roof zinc strips
Houseowners in our area appear to have good luck with zinc strips to prevent moss, etc and spraying 50/50 vinegar & water to kill existing stuff.

Solid strips or roll of zinc?  Personal preference?

Regular galvanized roofing nails to fasten??? 

Any guidance appreciated!
It's been more than a few years, but I've used them before. I used the rolls and stretched them out 1 shingle row below the ridge. I used nails that had rubber washers under the head to hold it down. I think that was all per manufacturer's directions. The stuff i used was called Z moss as I recall. This house was in the woods, lots of large trees and shade. so the moss problem was bad, but those strips did reduce it hugely...though they didn't completely eliminate it. I noticed over the years that the strips curled on the edge and what was not-so-attractive became downright awful. Maybe it was just me, because when we sold the house nobody noticed the strips.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Our house has them on the north side, it's been on for at least 5 years-no moss. Not a lot of trees, but old roof started to get moss, and I cleaned it off, and installed the rolled zinc. It worked! I think it's personal preference strips or roll. Might get strips to lay flatter, but I don't think it's a big deal. Snap a line. Don't remember the nails-sorry.
I've used the roll and it worked as advertised. I tucked them above the ridge cap. Lifted the shingle and nailed the strip down about every 3ft. Then let the shingle back down. Just like doing a shingle replacement.

It takes a while for them to kill the stuff but it will die and mostly disappear.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS