Chain link post strength
I need to replace a few 1 5/8 chain link line posts.
16 gage (typically used) $11
Sch 40 posts $24 (special order around here)

I think the 16 gage post filled with concrete would be as strong as the sch 40 post.

Opinions.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(10-01-2017, 07:32 AM)Pirate Wrote: I need to replace a few 1 5/8 chain link line posts.
16 gage (typically used) $11
Sch 40 posts $24 (special order around here)

I think the 16 gage post filled with concrete would be as strong as the sch 40 post.

Opinions.

unless you need to resist hurricane force winds  the fence the 16 ga are more than adequate
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

A napkin calc shows 1-5/8" OD, 16 gauge (.065" wall) to have about 1/2 the bending strength of 1-1/4" sch. 40 (1.660" OD x .140" wall), material strengths being equal (assumed).

I doubt that concrete fill will add much strength, as it's useless in tension and bending, and the tube will stretch on the outside of the bend, which is the tension side. But 16 gauge is commercial grade for lower fences, as opposed to BORG gauges which tend to the thinner side.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(10-01-2017, 07:32 AM)Pirate Wrote: ...I think the 16 gage post filled with concrete would be as strong as the sch 40 post...

You're kidding no one but yourself.
Wood is good. 
What kind of load are you going to have on a chain link fence? The wind blows right through it.

Unless you anticipate a flood with debris, it will be just a fence. Metal fence posts have always done fine.
(10-03-2017, 10:24 PM)daddo Wrote: What kind of load are you going to have on a chain link fence? The wind blows right through it.

Unless you anticipate a flood with debris, it will be just a fence. Metal fence posts have always done fine.
80 mph +/- winds knocked it down. 1 post top almost on the ground.
The fence is 6' high with plastic lattice and vines on the lattice.
Lots of windage!
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Do the local building codes dictate anything regarding the post construction? I would think if you needed the heavier posts they would require it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(10-04-2017, 07:31 AM)Pirate Wrote: 80 mph +/- winds knocked it down. 1 post top almost on the ground.
The fence is 6' high with plastic lattice and vines on the lattice.
Lots of windage!

Oh!, that fence. I'd go with the SCH40 posts then.

I would not do concrete. Concrete will help with post buckling on the thin wall posts, but that ain't your problem. Besides, its a PITA. I'd pay double the price for posts than pour in concrete.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Why, in your other post on this issue, the original post is now labeled "guest", while your last response is correctly identified as "Pirate"?

Rhetorical question, unless the mods can answer it.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(10-04-2017, 09:20 AM)Mr_Mike Wrote: Why, in your other post on this issue, the original post is now labeled "guest", while your last response is correctly identified as "Pirate"?

Rhetorical question, unless the mods can answer it.
That was all about lost password, and inability to retrieve. Set up other account, and one of our administrators saw it and helped me reset my orig password.  They did a great job. I wasn't getting emails on resetting password, etc.
The "Guest" post was first under my other name, that was deleted. It was great of the administrator to leave the post, with "Guest" name. The Administrator contacted me thru the new screen name, and that account is closed, so I can't look to see who the Admin. was.
All is well now
Hope this clears up the mystery.