Chain link post strength
I'm no engineer (like TPKPE above saying concrete won't help), but engineers helped end the practice of filling trees with concrete because it didn't add strength....in trees, it actually weakens the tree because as the tree moves acts like a "file" from the inside.
that's not going to happen in a pipe. Trees are weird too, they have to be able to move, they are in a lot of compression at the bottom, etc. I am an engineer, but it's outside my field, so I'm just speculating for the most part.

If it was my fence, I would suck up the extra cost and  use thicker pipes, if that tells you anything.
(10-06-2017, 09:12 PM)EricU Wrote: that's not going to happen in a pipe. Trees are weird too, they have to be able to move, they are in a lot of compression at the bottom, etc. I am an engineer, but it's outside my field, so I'm just speculating for the most part.

If it was my fence, I would suck up the extra cost and  use thicker pipes, if that tells you anything.
I assume mean the internal "filing" isn't going to happen in a pipe?  I'd agree with that...like you said, trees have been "engineered" to move or they'd fail a whole lot more frequently.
(10-07-2017, 08:57 AM)JosephP Wrote: I assume mean the internal "filing" isn't going to happen in a pipe?  I'd agree with that...like you said, trees have been "engineered" to move or they'd fail a whole lot more frequently.

Metal detectors will not find cement in a tree, but would probably be worse for the blade than metal.
  A six foot fence covered with lattice and vines will require very strong posts to withstand a 80 mph wind.  Basically a solid fence.
Suggest looking at some online calculators for wind loading on a 6' high solid panel fence.  The spacing for even schedule 40 posts will surprise you.  Breakaway posts like along a highway may be a better option as normally just the fuse type bolts break.   Roly
As usual I'm late to the party but here goes.  You are looking at the fence posts at the home center aren't you? 
Find a place that installs fencing and go talk to them.  Around here we have several reputable places that will sell you all the parts and pieces you need to do it yourself.  The key point to this is that they sell a heavier duty post than the home centers do.
We have one place that sells the stuff much more reasonable than the others so I go to them.
Oh and how did I find this out you ask.  Well it seems I have had this same problem many years ago.  At that point I figured I had nothing to lose but to go talk to them, and that is how I found out.
Dave
"Amateur Putzing in Shop." Northern Wood on Norm 5/07

"Dave's shop is so small you have to go outside to turn around" Big Dave on my old shop
So I built a new shop.  (Picasa went away so did the link to the pictures)