What dado blade for RAS tenons?
When I got my RAS I bought a second dado set (Freud) with a negative hook angle.  It is all I use now.  The cuts are much cleaner, especially in plywood.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I use an Amana 8" set. I think it has a negative rake.

I purposefully tested how badly it would self-feed by setting the dado to full width (13/16") and taking a 1" deep cut in white oak. Very clear it wanted to self-feed, but the action was controllable with the recommended straight-arm technique and a bit of drag on the arm using the carriage lock.

-Mark
A RAS that slides as smooth as glass probably has the guides set too loose, and that is what allows the saw blade to climb the material and self-feed.

Check to see if there is even the slightest up and down, or side to side movement of the head.

Here is a PDF showing the bearings.  They can be adjusted or replaced as required.

http://eberhardt.bz/GME_Wood_Land/GME_Wo...Radial.pdf
IME the tablesaw is the most accurate & safest way using a dado blade.

The only time I've ever cut dados on a RAS is for 3° dog holes in a work bench I was building.  It was not the most pleasurable operation.

In addition, you are limited in board width and for deep or hard lumber not many RAS's would have adequate power for this operation, making them more dangerous than they already are.
(10-03-2017, 01:35 PM)rwe2156 Wrote: IME the tablesaw is the most accurate & safest way using a dado blade.

The only time I've ever cut dados on a RAS is for 3° dog holes in a work bench I was building.  It was not the most pleasurable operation.

In addition, you are limited in board width and for deep or hard lumber not many RAS's would have adequate power for this operation, making them more dangerous than they already are.

I agree, but when I am making shelves that are six feet tall cutting the dadoes across the 12" x 72" x 3/4" board is much easier on the RAS than it is on the tables saw.  

Indeed I don't think I have sufficient room in my shop to do this on my table saw.  I would have to use a jig and a router. (A viable option, but I prefer the table saw).
(10-03-2017, 01:35 PM)rwe2156 Wrote: IME the tablesaw is the most accurate & safest way using a dado blade.

I can understand why you think that way, having only cut dados 1 time, and angled (?)
Cutting 18" daos on my ras, (Dewalt 7790) is just as accurate as on my ts. (Unisaur) Maybe easier, being you can see the cut line.
And much, much (sounds presidential, doesn't it!) easier than on the ts.
Making dado cuts is steps, allows deep dados, on a ts. or ras.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(10-04-2017, 07:25 AM)Pirate Wrote: I can understand why you think that way, having only cut dados 1 time, and angled (?)
Cutting 18" daos on my ras, (Dewalt 7790) is just as accurate as on my ts. (Unisaur) Maybe easier, being you can see the cut line.
And much, much (sounds presidential, doesn't it!) easier than on the ts.
Making dado cuts is steps, allows deep dados, on a ts. or ras.

I cut my dado's on the RAS, in steps too.  The only thing is, I use a saw blade full depth and step side to side. 

If one has several to cut, it is faster to change the blade though.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Quote:A RAS that slides as smooth as glass probably has the guides set too loose, and that is what allows the saw blade to climb the material and self-feed.

Check to see if there is even the slightest up and down, or side to side movement of the head.

Here is a PDF showing the bearings.  They can be adjusted or replaced as required.

Very true!  If the saw is properly adjusted there are no self feed issues.  

I've used my CM and Delta radial saws to make dados for years with typical positive rake 8" sets, work great.   IMHO the RAS is often the better tool for dados.

Mike