Hybrid Roubo - Finished!!
Hi Everyone,

OK - quick update on my bench project which I finished today. Have a look at the photos if you are interested.

Things I learned on this project....

1. Never be afraid to re-do a stage/take off a finish/re-paint something etc - if I don't do it right it bugs me forever.
2. Benches take a long time!
3. I like the mix of steel frame and wooden top/deadman.
4. I used a huge variety of tools/skills making this and learned some new ones too (TIG brazing).
5. Danish oil is great but must be applied properly - otherwise you're left with a sticky disaster.
6. I like using reclaimed materials - great sense of satisfaction.
7. Mahogany gives painful tiny splinters!

Hope you like it.

Mark

Attached Files Image(s)

Schazzam! Nicely done.
Tell us about the interesting clock too.
Ag
Hi Ag,

Thanks.

Clock is an English Clock Systems electric master clock. Needs a complete restoration but at least it's complete. I confess I'm a bit of a master clock nut - I have 7.

Restoring the 3 I have waiting - the ECS and 2 Gents Type 36's - is next on the to-do list.

Regards from autumnal England,

Mark
Wow. The face vise is very intimidating... nicely done, looks great.
Thanks.
Have to confess that the patternmaker vice was inspired by Marc Fish - a pro cabinet maker here in England.
He did an article for Furniture & Cabinetmaker magazine and his vice was modified - I was impressed and decided to modify mine like he'd done. Carried on the same look for the wagon vices.
Made quite a lot of swarf making this bench!
Will add bench hooks/shooting board/raised dovetailing vice (probably Hovarter kit) in the coming months.
Regards,
Mark
Cool casters!
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
That is too nice to use!
End vises, more pics, more info, show working???

Wheels lock? If not the bench police will be on you.

Why metal legs opposed to massively wooden?

Does that patternmakers vice flip, flop and do the dooo wop?

It's certainly a statement, not sure if I can see the value of it all yet? Speaking of which would you comment on how much you have wrapped up there? Trying not to sound snarky, it is a different animal though.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Thanks for the kind words.
It looks good at the moment but it will be well used.
The castors do lock.
The wagon vices are straightforward - turn the handles clockwise and the jaw moves away from you. I've lined the faces with cork for grip and the clamping space is 200mm in the gap. Work very well but drilling the holes for the oilite bushes in the frame is definitely a measure ten times cut once operation. I wanted two after seeing a similar example holding a round table top and thinking that could be useful. The threaded rod is bought in 1000mm lengths so I had plenty to experiment with.
The patternmaker vice is the standard clone with cork jaw liners stuck onto magnetic sheet for easy removal.
I would have preferred to make the top solely from mahogany but I couldn't get enough from my local reclamation yard. They did have maple so that's what I went with. (Look at the underside photo and you'll see all the nail holes).
Total cost is about £600. At least half of that is hardware.
Why the mix of steel frame and wood?? Why not! I like it (and I didn't have the wood for a frame) and I wanted the welding challenge.
Regards,
Mark
(10-01-2017, 07:20 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: That is too nice to use!

I was thinking the same thing as I viewed the images.  I wouldn't want to use it and would just look at it in awe.
Big Grin

Very nice work bench.
Yes