Hybrid Roubo - Finished!!
That's just jaw dropping awesome. Congrats on this very nice work.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Thanks.

Already onto the next projects!

Mark
Beautiful job on the bench.

If you do not mind a few questions:

What sort of work are you planning that a deadman of that design will couple with the patternmakers vise? I am just used to seeing them partnered with a leg vise and with support holes that start closer to the top.

Other than the wheel replacement for the straight handle, what other mods did you make to the patternmakers vise? I have a turtleback waiting for me to find the right wood for my bench build. If I want to consider any mods, it would certainly be easier before I mount it. The magnet-back leather jaw liner is a trick that I had forgotten. Thanks for the reminder.

Where did you find the left-hand thread rod and nuts for the wagon vises?

When it comes time to make the raised dovetailing vise, you might consider a design that has the handles on the ends of the threaded rods (like your wagon vises) rather than the ones where the threaded rods stick out past the handles (like the Benchcrafted). For me, having stuff with edges poking out into my work area is just a source of torn clothing and lost blood/skin. If you build one with the Hovarter twin screw kit, I would be really interested to see how you handle the mounting of the nuts-plate (for lack of the correct term) and the clearance for racking of the front jaw.

Again that is beautiful work and an excellent example of re-usage.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
That's one beautiful bench. Those vises are awesome. Do you have a built video on youtube, or your own website ?
Hi clark and digger.

Thanks for the kind words.

I took some photos along the way but I'm not clever enough to do a website or youtube video!

The deadman is for work on panels/wide boards greater than 7" or so. Smaller than that will require a spacer block and some sort of clamp under the top. Not perfect but all benches are a compromise after all. There's probably room for another hole in the deadman and I could put one/some in the front of the bench top - I'll see how things go.

The pattern makers vice was taken apart, edges polished, re-painted, and the handles replaced with what you see. I took the time to grind off the rough casting flashes and re-grease it, fine-tune the fittings etc but that's about it. Apart from the cork/magnetic sheet jaw liners there are no other modifications.

Below is the web page of where I got the left-hand threaded rod and nuts. I think I used the 26 x 5 from memory.

http://www.automotioncomponents.co.uk/en...rews/l1321

If I build a dovetail vice it will be as a stand-alone bench-top accessory with the Hovarter hardware so there should be no racking. I agree with the avoidance of sticking-out threaded rods - just gets in the way and not an elegant solution. I like Jim Tolpin's raised joinery bench but don't have the room for another bench!!

Currently making the bench hooks and shooting board with stuff all over the bench!!

Best wishes,

Mark
Here's a few before-ish pictures- the frame is tacked/welded and then mobile. You can see the stack of reclaimed mahogany floorboards just to the right.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thank you for the additional info and pics.

I just keep getting more and more impressed.

That is a nice looking lathe in the background, too.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Thanks again iclark,

The lathe is an old Churchill Cub Mk3. If I ever win the lottery I'm going to have it brought back to as-new spec as I'm quite attached to it and I hate getting rid of things if they can be resurrected.

Keeping the frame square was an interesting challenge as my welding table is only 1200 x 900mm. A lot can be done with determination though!

Regards,

Mark
Dang, that is really nice. Well done....
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks Fred.