Cedar TV stand
While remodeling my addition where my TV sits I had to move it out of the room.  It's an old TV that weighs about 300 pounds so I decided to catch up with the times and go with a flat screen TV.  This resulted with me needing a new TV stand so why not build one.

I decided on Cedar because I like the grain and look of the Cedar I get from Lowes (cough).  They sell rough sawn 2 X 4's 8' long and it's what I use to make bird feeders.  I have no drawings to go by.  I'm building this with an idea in my head then I transfer that idea to wood.  It would be a lot easier with plans but I like the challenge of flying by the seat of my pants (so to speak).

Gluing up the top.   I had to glue it up in two sections to be able to fit the sections though my 13" planer for one last pass. I made two of these because I needed a bottom panel as well.

Legs....two pieces glued together.

Leg and bottom mock up.  I notched the legs to receive the bottom panel and I'm going to do a bread board edge to hide the end grain on the sides.

At the last minute I decided to add some walnut to the bottoms of the legs because cedar with split or dent just looking at it.
Rolleyes

This is where I stand as of this mornings mocking up the face frame that will square the stand up and hold the doors in place.  I'm trying to decide if I should go with an open shelf in the middle to split up the doors and also shorten the doors up.  Without the shelf the doors will end up being roughly 16" tall by 24" wide.

Being new to woodworking and always willing to learn I'm open to any suggestions any of you may have.  Even the simplest suggestion is appreciated.

Duane
My observation is that if it is going against the wall it is fine, but if it is going to be in the middle of the room it is going to be easily tipped over with the center of gravity so high.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Interesting construct.

Disagree with the post above since it appears to be so massive, clunky and bottom heavy.

Please let us know how the final build goes and how it turns out.
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
(10-02-2017, 08:39 AM)Cooler Wrote: My observation is that if it is going against the wall it is fine, but if it is going to be in the middle of the room it is going to be easily tipped over with the center of gravity so high.
It's going against a wall.  Dimensions are 24" tall, 24" deep and 52" wide.  I went back and forth on the dimensions of it and actually measured my parents metal TV stand and it had similar dimensions to what I'm making mine.

Here's how it sits after today.

(10-02-2017, 12:16 PM)FloridaRetiree Wrote: Interesting construct.

Comments like this remind me when I first started wildlife photography and other photographers would comment something like "As long as you're happy with it".  I didn't pay it no mind until I learned more about photography and learned those were "nice" comments. 
Big Grin

I'm changing jobs and will have a 2 week break between the change so hopefully it will be completed by then.
Hell for stout, and a lot more than you need. You do nice work. Whoever cleans your house will have a great time vacuuming around it because it sure won't be easy to move.

I built one and added a drawer under the bottom shelf. It comes in handy for odds and ends and also hides the tangled mess of wires that accumulate on the back side. There is a lot of stuff that you can add to a newer TV.

R.
(10-03-2017, 09:50 AM)robert146 Wrote: Hell for stout, and a lot more than you need...

There is enough material in that to build 10 TV stands.
Wood is good. 
(10-03-2017, 10:02 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: There is enough material in that to build 10 TV stands.

But I only needed one....and I wanted it substantial because it's taking up one corner of my addition so I wanted to fill the wasted space because of how I laid out the windows when I built the addition 14 years ago. 
Big Grin

Finished....now I just need to buy a TV.

Looks like it will get the job done of holding up a TV, and storing TV kinda stuff. Sounds and looks like you nailed it. At first I was wondering, but it looks very nice too. As Sheldon Cooper says........ BAZINGA!!!!!!

The hardware makes it happen, good choice.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Well Done, Duane! 
Yes

Cool
Cool
Cool
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."