Easier or harder to lay small tiles vs large?
(10-02-2017, 08:36 AM)Cooler Wrote: I was watching one of those home flipping shows on TV and they were working on a tight budget.  One of the (professional) home flippers said to the designer that he wanted large tiles to avoid the higher labor cost of installing the small ones.

I assumed that meant the labor (time) would be greater for the larger tile.  I have no personal experience either way.  

I've seen them cut sheets of small tiles with a tile saw.  If you were using a cutter that would take a lot longer.

Putting down smalls on a backer or large one is no different IMHO. Its the grout that SUCKS for smalls. Tons of work, lots of cleaning, and WAY more grout itself. That's the extra labor and cost. 

We did about 60% of our basement in 4" x 24" porcelan. Even that was a bunch of work grouting (at least more than when I did 12" squares in the past) I couldnt imagine doing smalls outside of a backsplash or something small like that. I did about 18' or so of backsplash with 1-1/2" squares and I dont want to do it again anytime soon. 
Laugh

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)