galvanized nails
How do hot dipped galvanized nails differ from deck exterior galvanized nails?
If it does not say "hot dipped" then the zinc is probably applied by another process.

Cold process (impact plating) has small pellets of zinc in a large tumbler to apply the zinc.  The adhesion is not nearly as good as hot dipped, but the thickness of the zinc finish can be equal to hot dipped.  It will easily flake off and hitting a cold galvanized nail with a hammer may be sufficient to do just that.

Electro galvanized, is just zinc plating.  The adhesion is excellent and the thickness can be closely controlled.  But a maximum of about 0.0005" is all you can normally expect.  Commercial zinc is 0.0003" nominal and is probably not suited for exterior applications.  

Hot dipped range from 3 to 5 mils in thickness ( 0.003" to 0.005") or about 10 times the thickness of electro-galvanizing (zinc plating).

Cold process zinc is usually a medium gray and has a egg shell like texture.  Hot dipped is usually bright and has a rough finish.

Zinc plating is usually  very smooth and shiny, displaying the finish of the substrate.  They usually add a chromate conversion coating which is either clear or slightly blue; or yellow or grey/black.  The yellow chromate adds to the corrosion resistance.  The gray/black is a military finish and is used to minimize reflectance.

I would only use hot dipped galvanized for exterior nails.

The thickness of the zinc affects the corrosion resistance as this is a sacrificial finish.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-03-2017, 11:24 AM)Bope Wrote: How do hot dipped galvanized nails differ from deck exterior galvanized nails?

With todays PT wood(new growth), any kind of nails is not a long term application. 5 years ago and before, I repaired decks that were built using nails. The wood had shrunk and the boards were loose.

Using either of those with cedar is a nono.
(10-03-2017, 04:31 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: With todays PT wood(new growth), any kind of nails is not a long term application. 5 years ago and before, I repaired decks that were built using nails. The wood had shrunk and the boards were loose.

Using either of those with cedar is a nono.

You do have to use nails for the Simpson Strong Tie brackets on the joists.  Screws are a better choice for laying deck boards over the joists, but are not acceptable for use in applications where there are shear forces (as opposed to tensile--pull out forces).  Some building codes recognize this and mandate nails.

This from the Family Handyman Magazine:

What kind of nails to use with joist hangers?

For interior framing, that means using only the thicker 10d, 12d or 16d common nails (rather than skinnier sinker nails) to fasten a joist hanger's face flange to wall ledgers, headers and beams. Outdoors use 16d double-dipped galvanized nails (orstainless steel when called for) for installing hangers.
(10-04-2017, 07:19 AM)Cooler Wrote: You do have to use nails for the Simpson Strong Tie brackets on the joists.  Screws are a better choice for laying deck boards over the joists, but are not acceptable for use in applications where there are shear forces (as opposed to tensile--pull out forces).  Some building codes recognize this and mandate nails.

This from the Family Handyman Magazine:

What kind of nails to use with joist hangers?

For interior framing, that means using only the thicker 10d, 12d or 16d common nails (rather than skinnier sinker nails) to fasten a joist hanger's face flange to wall ledgers, headers and beams. Outdoors use 16d double-dipped galvanized nails (orstainless steel when called for) for installing hangers.

You can use screws as long as they're approved screws.  For Simpson joist hangers that means the Simpson brand of screws (assuming your AHJ concurs): "The Simpson Strong-Tie Strong-Drive® SD Connector screw is the only screw approved for use with our connectors"

For all *practical* purposes, I think that means 'use nails'.  Maybe screws if you're building your deck at night and don't want to wake the neighbors.

-Mark
Not sure about code where you are but here if you are using PT stainless is required even for the brackets.  Seems the new "environmentally safer" PT eats everything else
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

What I'd like to find are hot dipped galvanized nails for nail guns. All I see are the electroplated ones.
Around here, they wouldn't last two years.....
VH07V  
The reason I am asking is I picked up some post bases to use for a pergola. They called for 16D hot dipped galvanized nails for the posts. In the area near the post base Lowes has 10D HDG nails. In the nail section they had 16D nails labeled as "deck" nails that say they are "exterior galvanized." I am just not sure what exterior galvanized means.
I use a pneumatic palm nail hammer and conventional nails.

Hot dipped galvanized is the premier finish. If it were hot dipped, then they would be screaming it on the package. If it is a dull gray color it is probably impact plated (cold galvanized).

Here is a link discussing the differences between cold galvanized and hot dipped.

https://www.galvanizeit.org/education-an...alvanizing

Note: They state that the parts are first copper plated then impact plated. I know at least one vendor who skips the copper plating part. If you hammer on the side of the head of one of the nails the cold galvanizing will likely chip off. Look to see if it is copper colored.

You can also see if the box of nails has a email address or website address where you can query the manucturer.
I used those Simpson joist hanger screws a month ago... never again will I nail joist hangers.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15