anyone ever gone to a Woodcraft class?
the prices seem reasonable, maybe a little low
(10-03-2017, 08:33 PM)EricU Wrote: the prices seem reasonable, maybe a little low

I always wondered why they even charge for the classes since the people who go will end up buying stuff later.  To me it makes more sense for free and encourage them to try it out on their own and point out that they have what is needed
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(10-03-2017, 08:33 PM)EricU Wrote: the prices seem reasonable, maybe a little low

Around here some prices seem low, some seem way high, and some just seem about right.

The classes are organized by the franchisees. Some courses are taught by employees, some by members of clubs that meet there, and some are taught by folks from out of town.

When Richard Raffin taught some classes at our local WC, I thought that the classes were very appropriately affordable.

To me, the V-carve classes in multiple separate parts seem a bit high to me.

I have been in classrooms in WC's in other areas where I had trouble imagining anyone taking a course in their "classroom."

I have taken some courses at the WC here (more than a few, in fact) and have almost never felt short-changed.There were one or 2 classes that were not expensive, but that I felt were not really worth the time. The owners got feedback and those classes are taught differently now.

You can check out how class prices and selection vary from store to store if you look on each store's website.

Our local WC also gives a store discount to the student the day of the class. If the store closes before the class ends, then they give a coupon for that discount the next time that you are in the store.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(10-03-2017, 10:19 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I always wondered why they even charge for the classes since the people who go will end up buying stuff later.  To me it makes more sense for free and encourage them to try it out on their own and point out that they have what is needed

Part of the reason to charge for the classes is to pay the instructor and to cover wear and tear on the tools.

Another reason is that people are more likely to show up for the class if they have paid for it. Even so, there are no-shows. The instructor still needs to be paid but some of those no-shows just decided not to come to class and then come in later to demand a refund.With most of the classes filling up at 6 students, that no-show meant that someone on the wait-list did not get to take the class.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I have done several classes at Lee Valley,over the years.Classes were always full,each student gets the use of a lathe and the instructors were excellent.The product that you worked on,you got to take home.They usually send out a list of upcoming seminars so you can pick what you are interested in.Well worth it,in my opinion.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I've taken maybe six classes in three different WC stores; all were good except one, and all were by employees.  The one that was a bad deal for me, was probably okay for most, was on sharpening.  The ad included Tormek and manual sharpening.  The instructor mentioned how "crazy expensive" the Tormek was then demonstrated only wet stones.  I have a Tormek and that was my reason for the class.  I wrote letters to WC and Tormek; sharpening is still a regular class but the ads for that store do not mention Tormek.

I am tempted to take the series of carving classes but then I would need more tools and have to learn to sharpen another style of tool.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Since the classes are organized by each franchisee, the quality can be hit or miss.  Do not confuse classes with demonstrations.  Demos are most often performed by WC staff, and are more informational than instructional.  I've been to one paid class on using a scroll saw.  I learned a few things, but I didn't think it was worth the price.  The WC in Ventura, CA is my closest WC and they bring in some pretty good instructors.  Depending on the reputation of the instructor and the cost of materials, classes can run anywhere from $50 to $800.  If you are interested in a class, it's good to do some research on the instructor.  Is he a professional woodworker?  Does he teach anywhere other than Woodcraft?  Is he a member of any clubs or organizations like the American Association of Woodturners (AAW)?  If you can't find much about the instructor, set your expectations accordingly.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I don't have a WC closer than 100 miles from me, but my son who lived in Minnesota did.  Several years ago as a birthday present to him I enrolled each of us in a pen making class.  I thought the class was  run well and the father /son experience was priceless.  
Cool
Scary thing is Jim might just be right... Patsfan 04/04/05
(10-08-2017, 07:36 AM)Router-Jim Wrote: I don't have a WC closer than 100 miles from me, but my son who lived in Minnesota did.  Several years ago as a birthday present to him I enrolled each of us in a pen making class.  I thought the class was  run well and the father /son experience was priceless.  
Cool
I've taken 3, pen turning, turning spheres, bowl turning at different wc, all were excellent
I took a bowl turning class years ago from David Marks. Well worth it