Storm door inserts...
Exterior storm door...current one is pine, painted.   I need to make removable screen and plexi panels for the seasons.   Poplar or pine for the frames of the inserts?  They will be painted and exposed to the elements.   Just tying to make it easy wood to obtain, thus the Big Box stores have clear pine, maple and poplar.
(10-05-2017, 12:42 PM)AlanS Wrote: Exterior storm door...current one is pine, painted.   I need to make removable screen and plexi panels for the seasons.   Poplar or pine for the frames of the inserts?  They will be painted and exposed to the elements.   Just tying to make it easy wood to obtain, thus the Big Box stores have clear pine, maple and poplar.

For a screen door, I used the pre-primed finger jointed white wood at the Borg.  The boards are either a real 1" or 5/4" thick, already smooth and straight and available in various widths.  They are 16' long.

My screen door is joined using floating tenons, has been exposed to the elements for 7 or 8 years now with a minimal roof overhang to block the rain and snow.  It has held up amazingly well.  It's painted white with some exterior paint from the Borg--either Behr or Glidden.  It only sees a few hours of the afternoon sun, though, and I think that's helped it survive this long.  The white wood is pretty lightweight and this door has not sagged a bit on its hinges.  I only repainted it this year and that was just to make it match the rest of the porch I was painting.  The paint looked fine.

Paul
If you go to a Habitat for Humanity restore, you can probably find one made of clear yellow pine for $25 or so.  That's what I did, and then trimmed it to fit.

Edit: I am not the OP.
Pine. Just use a good primer, then two coats of final paint finish. Will last for a decade, at least.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Western red cedar is readily available. That's what I would use.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020