Rob Cosman reviews a #1 hand plane
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8_dvsqlQSs

One minute vid of a Stanley #1 knockoff.  I've been jonesing for one of these for a few years, for the novelty, yet after actually seeing one in Rob's hand I'm beginning to rethink my collecting efforts.  I guess it would be good for a dust collector on a shelf or in the hands of a four year old kid, but for a real mans paw it would not be a real good fit.

A #2 is about the same in size so I guess a block plane would work just as well.  I will have to think long and hard before I throw down a pile of $$ for either a 1 or 2........or just keep trolling flea markets and hope one will turn up for five bucks.
(10-07-2017, 07:52 PM)Tynyyn Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8_dvsqlQSs

One minute vid of a Stanley #1 knockoff.  I've been jonesing for one of these for a few years, for the novelty, yet after actually seeing one in Rob's hand I'm beginning to rethink my collecting efforts.  I guess it would be good for a dust collector on a shelf or in the hands of a four year old kid, but for a real mans paw it would not be a real good fit.

A #2 is about the same in size so I guess a block plane would work just as well.  I will have to think long and hard before I throw down a pile of $$ for either a 1 or 2........or just keep trolling flea markets and hope one will turn up for five bucks.

There's a theory that the majority of Stanley No 2's were used by middle schoolers in shop class. Their small hands would work well with the plane. As far as the no 1 goes, I've heard musical instrument makers like using them. I've also heard they do well work working through tough grain like burls. I've never used a No 1, so I have no idea how well they work.
I've heard that woodworkers with arthritic hands would use the #1 instead of a block plane, by wrapping their hand around the back of the tote. I've tried this on my LN #1, but it seems a bit awkward.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
A #1 is simply very uncomfortable to use, and what uses it does have involve very small projects. Mine sits on the mantle in my family room, and has done so for the last 20 years. A #2, however, is a very useful plane and remains in my till. I view a #1 as falling into the category of being a novelty, to fill out the "hole" in the lineup of bench planes for collectors. If I didn't pull mine out of a child's tool box full of plastic toy tools at a yard sale in Indian Trail NC, and pay the lady $1 for it, I would not own one.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-08-2017, 08:06 AM)Admiral Wrote: A #1 is simply very uncomfortable to use, and what uses it does have involve very small projects.  Mine sits on the mantle in my family room, and has done so for the last 20 years.  A #2, however, is a very useful plane and remains in my till.  

This is exactly how I feel.   I have horse-traded about five No. 2 size planes through the years, and every one of them was put to practical use on a project before I moved it on.

I did have a L-N No. 1 for a while, and not only was it darn small, but it was also more prone to tote-loosening and some other nuisances.

Chris
Chris
(10-08-2017, 05:09 AM)Tony Z Wrote: I've heard that woodworkers with arthritic hands would use the #1 instead of a block plane, by wrapping their hand around the back of the tote.  I've tried this on my LN #1, but it seems a bit awkward.

I have a #1 Stanley and got it for a good price and some trading.  I like it when I was in the wheelchair and it was not hard to push to get some good shavings and it did a nice job.  I like my #2 better now that I am out of a wheelchair more then the #1 but I now use the #3 as much as the #2 or more.

I am going to start looking for another #2 for my grandson or I just remembered Jack in Omaha has a few nice wooden #2's I will get now that I remembered it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I have a Eclipse that is really a no2 Stanley. It is way too small for my hand. Its sitting in a display cabinet.
I think Cosman sort of summed it up when he characterized the No. 1 as "cute".  When a tool is "cute", it is relegated to the mantel.  I have a No. 2 that's hardly ever used.  It is still pretty small even for my relatively small hands.  It's a 3 finger hold with my index finger laid alongside the plane.  A No. 3 is one of my favorite planes to use.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I don't use it a lot but when I do I'm very happy to have it. It's smaller than most block planes, but it has a chipbreaker, which makes it useful as a smoother.
Occasional musings on my blog:
bridgerberdel.wordpress.com
(10-10-2017, 10:08 AM)AHill Wrote: I think Cosman sort of summed it up when he characterized the No. 1 as "cute".  When a tool is "cute", it is relegated to the mantel.  I have a No. 2 that's hardly ever used.  It is still pretty small even for my relatively small hands.  It's a 3 finger hold with my index finger laid alongside the plane.  A No. 3 is one of my favorite planes to use.

Let's call that review "damning with faint praise".

(I did find a No.1 Stanley at a flea market about ten years ago.)