Transparent crack filler?
A while back I asked some questions about blending the color on a repair I had to do on a frame I made. I ended up getting some colored pencils at the art store, and I got pretty good results. The color blends almost perfectly. However, the cracks are still able to be felt and seen under light. I know some of you might roll your eyes at me for asking again about a flaw that is relatively minor, but honestly, even with the color blended, it's still not good enough for me either by my own standards or for me to feel like showing other people. And since the frame houses an old Bible leaf that's VERY relevant for what's happening this year (500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation), I'm likely going to be showing it to LOTS of people, and so I want to try and make the cracks feel as inconspicuous as possible.

Is there a way to fill cracks so that the surface will be even without changing the color? Sorry if I sound nitpicky by starting a second thread about the same defect, but my mind will not be at ease until I can get the cracks filled the best I can (if possible). I really don't care whether or not anybody else notices the cracks or not...I myself want to feel confident about it before I show anybody regardless. And no, I'm not going to "just get over it". 
Smile How could I go about filling cracks without ruining the color correction I have already done? Thanks.
Near future projects:

-Curly Maple display case
-Jatoba and Quilted Maple dresser
(10-07-2017, 08:50 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: A while back I asked some questions about blending the color on a repair I had to do on a frame I made. I ended up getting some colored pencils at the art store, and I got pretty good results. The color blends almost perfectly. However, the cracks are still able to be felt and seen under light. I know some of you might roll your eyes at me for asking again about a flaw that is relatively minor, but honestly, even with the color blended, it's still not good enough for me either by my own standards or for me to feel like showing other people. And since the frame houses an old Bible leaf that's VERY relevant for what's happening this year (500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation), I'm likely going to be showing it to LOTS of people, and so I want to try and make the cracks feel as inconspicuous as possible.

Is there a way to fill cracks so that the surface will be even without changing the color? Sorry if I sound nitpicky by starting a second thread about the same defect, but my mind will not be at ease until I can get the cracks filled the best I can (if possible). I really don't care whether or not anybody else notices the cracks or not...I myself want to feel confident about it before I show anybody regardless. And no, I'm not going to "just get over it". 
Smile How could I go about filling cracks without ruining the color correction I have already done? Thanks.

Im a fan of aqua-coat

Here it is at woodcraft

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(10-07-2017, 08:58 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Im a fan of aqua-coat

Here it is at woodcraft

Does it dry more glossy or flat? I'd prefer more towards the flat side.
Near future projects:

(10-07-2017, 09:04 PM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: Does it dry more glossy or flat? I'd prefer more towards the flat side.

Id say flat. But its not a finish coat so why would it matter? After your top coats are on nobody will know its there (unless your a woodworker that knows something about finishing, even then its not a bad thing)

Watch the videos on the link I posted (scroll down the page) They should answer any question you have

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(10-07-2017, 09:08 PM)packerguy® Wrote: Id say flat. But its not a finish coat so why would it matter? After your top coats are on nobody will know its there (unless your a woodworker that knows something about finishing, even then its not a bad thing)

Watch the videos on the link I posted (scroll down the page) They should answer any question you have

I actually don't want any finish on this project. It's Kingwood, and I like how it looks with just the raw wood sanded and then rubbed with #0000 Steel Wool to get a low luster. I'm just needing to fill a couple of cracks that were left around a repair that didn't go as well as planned (re-gluing a piece of wood in place that I had to pry off for reasons I won't go into here). I've blended the colors back in around that area, but I'm just needing to fill the cracks with something that won't change the color and will leave an even surface (after some light sanding, of course). That's all.
Near future projects:

I don't think any repair on unfinished wood is ever going to be as inconspicuous as you are wanting. My personal opinion is that if this piece is as important to you as it seems to be that it is time to bite the bullet and start over.
"That's a fascinating 500 year old bible leaf but the crack in the frame is really distracting" -Said no one, ever.

Stop putting band aids on your prototype and build it to your satisfaction or accept the fact that you will always fixate on the flaws that only you notice. Never explain or apologize and most importantly, don't point them out.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
(10-08-2017, 07:04 AM)jlanciani Wrote: I don't think any repair on unfinished wood is ever going to be as inconspicuous as you are wanting. My personal opinion is that if this piece is as important to you as it seems to be that it is time to bite the bullet and start over.

Exactly ^.

John
(10-08-2017, 01:52 AM)KingwoodFan1989 Wrote: I actually don't want any finish on this project. It's Kingwood, and I like how it looks with just the raw wood sanded and then rubbed with #0000 Steel Wool to get a low luster. I'm just needing to fill a couple of cracks that were left around a repair that didn't go as well as planned (re-gluing a piece of wood in place that I had to pry off for reasons I won't go into here). I've blended the colors back in around that area, but I'm just needing to fill the cracks with something that won't change the color and will leave an even surface (after some light sanding, of course). That's all.

Did you scroll down the woodcraft page I listed and watch the videos? I assume not, if you did....watch again.

Woodcraft also sells hotstuff ct glue for filling gaps... I have used it to fill cracks, and mixed with sawdust to fill large missing portions in knots. It dries clear, with a low sheen that can be dulled by sanding choices.

https://www.bing.com/search?pc=TBWI&form...stuff+glue

There is also an accelerator spray that cures the glue in seconds, speeding the process. You can choose a very thin formula that seeps into cracks to hold pieces together, a slower setting formula to allow alignment, or one that is thick like syrup, to fill gaps.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.