Baileigh Industrial 3HP Cyclone Dust Collector DC-2100C
 Baileigh Industrial 3HP Cyclone Dust Collector DC-2100C

Link: https://www.baileigh.com/dust-collector-dc-2100c

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

Looks pretty nice and price too.  It boasts 2,111 CFM.  Think that’s accurate?

Comments please.  Thanks.

Robert
I am never rong....but sometimes I am a little week on being wright?
Robert,

I have no experience with that unit, but it is the same unit as the Jet, the old Laguna style (the changed design last year), and the old JDS cyclone (they changed 1-2 years ago but are now out of DC business). These are all made over seas with different colors. So if you see any information on the others it should apply to this unit. The bottom line is cyclones have proven to be more effective with longer cone designs. These are all short cone design, and unless you don't have the height, can not perform well at separation. So what happens is your dust gets past the cyclone and clogs the filter requiring more cleanings. They still have decent suction and good filters to keep the collected dust out of the shop, but the constant filter cleaning will be needed to maintain performance.

Maybe someone with one of the other units can comment on their performance.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you do.

Carl
I'd bet this months SS check that it doesn't pull 2100 CFM. Most of those CFM numbers are the marketing departments imagination. My cyclone with a bigger motor and impeller does about 1150 CFM (measured with a pitot tube and gauge) through a 6" duct. As you consider this and others just keep in mind the performance usually quoted is about as accurate as the 6.5 HP your shop has. That unit does have 1 micron bags (that's good, though it could be better) but it's not clear to me if you can remove those 4" inlets and have one 6". Generally speaking,the smaller the duct the less air is moved so a unit that size would work best with 6" ducting.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
This one here has a lot better specs and better made for the same price

http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-HP-Cyc...ctor/G0441

[*]Motor: TEFC Class "F", 3 HP, 220V, single-phase, 22A
[*]Switch: Remote controlled magnetic
[*]Intake hole size: 8"
[*]Bag material: Plastic
[*]Impeller size: 15-1/2" steel, riveted
[*]Air suction capacity: 1654 CFM @ 2.0" SP
[*]Maximum static pressure (inches of water): 14.2"
[*]Filter: 99.9% efficiency captures 0.2-2 micron dust particles
[*]Filter surface area: 113 sq. ft.
[*]Collection Drum: 55 gallons, steel
[*]Sound rating: 83–85 dB
[*]Overall dimensions: 60-1/4" W x 38-1/2" D x 109" H (93-5/16"H w/35-gal. drum)

made of spun-bond polyester that filters 99.9% of particles from 0.2 to 2

[*]If you see what I highlighted it seems it draws more then the other at 2111
[*]Also the Particles are better also.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Earlier this year I went from a single stage with a pre separator to a 3hp cyclone. My shop is about 1200sf so a 3-5 hp was what I wanted. I looked at every 3 and 5 hp on the market. I ended up with a 3 hp Grizzly and have been very very happy with it. The reason I went with the 3 hp is the additional cfm and SP you gained going up to a 5 hp didn’t seem to be worth the extra money. It just wasn’t significant enough. My choice in the end was narrowed down to the Grizzly and the Oneida. The Grizzly won out on features and price. I looked at the Baileigh, Jet, Laguna and Clearvirw also. All but the Clearview had the short cones which do a very poor job of separation. The Clearview has impressive specs but I just don’t care for the way it is built. The Grizzly has a lot of great features for the money. It has a filter cleaning brush built in which I have yet to need to use. It also has an attachment that vacuums the bag into your dust bin. I have probably run 4-5k gallons of sawdust through mine so far and I still don’t have more than a tablespoon of dust in the bag under the filter so I would say the separation is outstanding. I didn’t mount mine to the wall. I made a stand with some 2x4 Lumber and a piece of plywood which works great.
Thanks for the comments.  I learned about the short vs. long cones.  Didn't know that.

With ya'll's comments I think I'll go with the Grizz 3 hp.  With adding the Grizzly Stand the price increases but the Baileigh shipping is higher and it ends up the Grizzly is about $153.00 higher...not bad for a much better unit... as you all have pointed out.

Going from an old Delta 50-760 this'll be quite an improvement. 

Thanks again!  Very helpful...as always.

Robert
I am never rong....but sometimes I am a little week on being wright?
(10-10-2017, 08:43 AM)Fire Hoss Wrote: Thanks for the comments.  I learned about the short vs. long cones.  Didn't know that.

With ya'll's comments I think I'll go with the Grizz 3 hp.  With adding the Grizzly Stand the price increases but the Baileigh shipping is higher and it ends up the Grizzly is about $153.00 higher...not bad for a much better unit... as you all have pointed out.

Going from an old Delta 50-760 this'll be quite an improvement. 

Thanks again!  Very helpful...as always.

Robert

I wouldn't buy one of the stands. I built my own stand with about $20 worth of 2 x 4's and some scrap plywood.
(10-10-2017, 08:43 AM)Fire Hoss Wrote: With ya'll's comments I think I'll go with the Grizz 3 hp. 

Good choice, IMO.  Also, Grizzly's air flow figure looks realistic (at 2" SP) for a 3 hp unit.  The other doesn't.  And Griz cyclones and bag DCs have a pretty reputation here.

(10-10-2017, 10:37 AM)Dave Diaman Wrote: I wouldn't buy one of the stands. I built my own stand with about $20 worth of 2 x 4's and some scrap plywood.

Me either.  Some scrap 2x4's and plywood will make a perfectly good stand.  It's not like the thing is trying to move - it just sits there, sucking dust.
Laugh

I built mine using the Pentz design and my '2 hp HFDC' blower, and never bothered to even add diagonal bracing.  It's been holding my cyclone DC for 10 years now, and hasn't moved.  Well, it's actually on the other end of the shop now with a long run of duct network (and still no filter - it blows out the window), but that's because I moved it, not because it moved itself.  
Laugh
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Making your own stand will allow you to enclose the cyclone, to greatly reduce the noise level. My enclosure reduced the sound by 9 decibels.

Unistrut is great to work with, but I used wood. I also made it mobile as it is located in front of my electric hot water heater and pressure tank.

Due to a lack of usable wall space, two sides of my cyclone enclosure have been made into a clamp rack. One side for parallel clamps and the other for pipe and bar clamps.
My .02
Karl

(10-09-2017, 11:05 AM)Dave Diaman Wrote:  I have probably run 4-5k gallons of sawdust through mine so far .....

Holy crap Batman.  That's like emptying a 55 gal drum 100 times.  Every 3.7 days emptying a drum of sawdust.  Your garbage man must hate you 
Winkgrin