Really Shellac???
I have a rattle can of Zinser Bulls Eye Shellac.  Is this really shellac?  Or is it something similar that acts like shellac?

Does anyone have any experience with this product?  I would like to use it as a sealer on a very old and abused chest of drawers prior to  painting it.

Thank you for your comments.

R.
It's shellac.  I use it a lot on small things.  For that it works very well.
(10-08-2017, 04:54 PM)robert146 Wrote: I have a rattle can of Zinser Bulls Eye Shellac.  Is this really shellac?  Or is it something similar that acts like shellac?

Does anyone have any experience with this product?  I would like to use it as a sealer on a very old and abused chest of drawers prior to  painting it.

Thank you for your comments.

R.

Yes. Dewaxed in the spray (non-rattle) can.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Thanks for the responses and info. I seldom use shellac, but it seems to be popular and effective as a sealer and this spray can is very convenient. I have no interest in mixing, shelf life, etc. And reading about finishing on the internet can be a little confusing for an old guy.

R.
I used to find Sealcoat in rattle cans.  Now I only see "shellac" so I don't know if this is dewaxed or not.  But it is shellac.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-09-2017, 09:27 AM)Cooler Wrote: I used to find Sealcoat in rattle cans.  Now I only see "shellac" so I don't know if this is dewaxed or not.  But it is shellac.

As far as I know rattle can Zinsser shellac is still the dewaxed version just like Sealcoat. 

John
(10-09-2017, 09:36 AM)jteneyck Wrote: As far as I know rattle can Zinsser shellac is still the dewaxed version just like Sealcoat. 

John

It does not say it is dewaxed.  And it does not say SealCoat.  So I'm not sure.  

Here is the product information from Rustoleum:

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalo...ye-shellac

Here is the SealCoat information:  https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalo...ye-shellac

It carries these three lines that don't show on the rattle can specs:
  • Gives extra beauty & warmth to water-base polyurethanes

• Can be used as a pre-stain conditioner for pine and softwoods

• Can be used as a bond coat under new finishes – adheres to any existing finish
Yeah, I've read the data sheet and can, too, and you are right, it doesn't say dewaxed nor does it say it can be used as a bond coat.  But it works, at least for me.  And the OP's original question was whether the rattle can really contains shellac. Of that I am sure.

John
(10-10-2017, 09:32 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Yeah, I've read the data sheet and can, too, and you are right, it doesn't say dewaxed nor does it say it can be used as a bond coat.  But it works, at least for me.  And the OP's original question was whether the rattle can really contains shellac.  Of that I am sure.  

John

I looked for a contact spot on their page that just didn't go to some clearning house with a trained monkey reading from the FAQ.  Didn't find one, but when I do, I plan to ask them.

That said, it makes some sense to me that the aerosol version would not have the wax as that seems like a good way to screw up the nozzle.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(10-10-2017, 09:32 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Yeah, I've read the data sheet and can, too, and you are right, it doesn't say dewaxed nor does it say it can be used as a bond coat.  But it works, at least for me.  And the OP's original question was whether the rattle can really contains shellac.  Of that I am sure.  

John

No argument from me.  It is shellac.  

I rarely get small pieces to work on, so brushing on Sealcoat is a viable option.