Hanging A Door
This isn't a cry for help, mostly its expressing frustration.  When we had the house built we opted not to have them install a door at the top of the stairs to the second floor.  My daughter got a cat last month and the cat will be living on the second floor.  This past weekend I finally had time to hang a door.  I knew from already checking that the rough opening wasn't plumb, and the existing trim wasn't installed plumb or square, they just installed it to the opening.  It was 5/8" out of plumb bottom to top.  I figured that since I'd have to pull the trim off to square it up anyway, I might as well go with a pre-hung door.  The new unit is a little smaller than the old trim was.  Between that and the fact it's plumb now I have to dig up the matching paint for the stairwell and the upstairs hall (two different colors) and I have to replace some baseboard.  Oh, and scope creep.   I had to take the stair handrail off to d o this, it was installed so the top end was jammed up against the door trim.  My wife has never liked it and is now using that as an excuse to have me replace it.
You know you're doing it right.

Yes
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
(10-09-2017, 08:19 AM)crokett™ Wrote: This isn't a cry for help, mostly its expressing frustration.  When we had the house built we opted not to have them install a door at the top of the stairs to the second floor.  My daughter got a cat last month and the cat will be living on the second floor.  This past weekend I finally had time to hang a door.  I knew from already checking that the rough opening wasn't plumb, and the existing trim wasn't installed plumb or square, they just installed it to the opening.  It was 5/8" out of plumb bottom to top.  I figured that since I'd have to pull the trim off to square it up anyway, I might as well go with a pre-hung door.  The new unit is a little smaller than the old trim was.  Between that and the fact it's plumb now I have to dig up the matching paint for the stairwell and the upstairs hall (two different colors) and I have to replace some baseboard.  Oh, and scope creep.   I had to take the stair handrail off to d o this, it was installed so the top end was jammed up against the door trim.  My wife has never liked it and is now using that as an excuse to have me replace it.

Oh, I feel your pain. That happens to me about every time.  What starts as a simple project seems to snowball into several days work.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
Conversation in a young couples home:

She: "Honey, would you change the light bulb in the living room lamp?"
He: "Sure darlin, be happy to!"
She: "Thank you sweetums, but that does not light up that corner like I think it should."

What ensues is 18 months of demolition/remodeling/reversed decisions/waffling/etc.

She: "Put that lamp back in the corner."
He; "There!!"
She: 'Why can't you  do something right for a change, that corner is still too dark!"
He: Sound of front door slamming.

Conversation is experienced handyman's home:

She: "Honey, would you change the light bulb in the living room lamp?"
He: "NO!"

Above story is not completely fabricated. Much of it is true.

Sadly, I still change light bulbs.
Sigh
Sigh
well, she hasn't seen the price on 14' of oak handrail. if you're standing at the bottom of the stairs looking up, there's about 4' of oak handrail stained with balusters on the left side side of the stairs before a wall starts. the right side has ~13' of handrail mounted to the wall, but the profile is different, and it's painted white. She's right it does look like crap. how stupid would it look to get the handrail that matches the oak but attach it to the wall that's on the left? then I can cut the price of materials in half, but there's still a handrail all the way up the stairs. they'd just be offset from each other.
(10-10-2017, 10:33 AM)crokett™ Wrote: well, she hasn't seen the price on 14' of oak handrail.  if you're standing at the bottom of the stairs looking up, there's about 4' of oak handrail stained with balusters on the left side side of the stairs before a wall starts. the right side has ~13' of handrail mounted to the wall, but the profile is different, and it's painted white.  She's right it does look like crap.  how stupid would it look to get the handrail that matches the oak but attach it to the wall that's on the left?  then I can cut the price of materials in half, but there's still a handrail all the way up the stairs. they'd just be offset from each other.

Let me get this straight. You've admitted she's right. The handrail in question is still on the floor (and you agree "it looks like crap"). You think it's a good idea to drill holes in an otherwise totally satisfactory wall to put in half a handrail and patch the holes in the other wall because she doesn't want the piece of crap put back up. All of this to save five or six feet of $7-$8/ ft. handrail? And didn't you say that SHE wanted the one on the right replaced? You're a braver man than I!
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
I'm not admitting anything. I know the old railing was crap and I never liked it either. She doesn't care whether the replacement is on the right or the left. Patching holes is basic. A bit of spackling compound, wet sand, prime and paint. I have to touch up around the new door anyway, and I'm already patching a couple dings in the wall. The labor to put the replacement on the left is about the same as it would be to put it where the old one was.
And...................
Raised
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(10-11-2017, 08:08 AM)crokett™ Wrote: I'm not admitting anything.  I know the old railing was crap and I never liked it either.   She doesn't care whether the replacement is on the right or the left.    Patching holes is basic.  A bit of spackling compound, wet sand,  prime and paint.  I have to touch up around the new door anyway, and I'm already patching a couple dings in the wall.  The labor to put the replacement on the left is about the same as it would be to put it where the old one was.

Crokett, I hope you didn't think my post was meant to be criticizing or confrontational. It was only my attempt at good natured satire. It was all said in a tongue in cheek manner, but sometimes humor gets lost in translation. Sorry if it offended you.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"