Stereo in shop
Lower power compressor and blow it off when sound becomes funky. Or light vac and pull off the dust, just be careful with higher power anything, the cones on a lot of speakers don't take much abuse. I believe there are speaker surrounds designed for dusty, dirty application's you essentially put the speaker in a trash bag, which I did for years on job sites with a DeWally radio/CD player. Never a problem in the bag with the stereo playing, just a pain changing batteries.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Love having music in my workshop. Classic FM or CDs. Have an aux input to run stuff from my phone but rarely use it.

My system is my old Yamaha midi system with some Mission speakers mounted on the walls. The main unit is on a shelf away from dusty machines and under another shelf - works fine and dust is minimal. I have an air cleaner and separate dust/chippings collector but try to make as much dust as possible outside!

Sounds fantastic!

Look after your dust creation/collection and you'll be fine.

Regards,

Mark
Get a pair of noise isolating bluetooth headphones.  (Bang and Olufsen makes exemplary versions.)

Put the stereo in the next room or in a plastic bag.  You can adjust the volume on the headphones, so there you are.  Dust is no problem.  The noise isolating headphones isolate you from the outside noise.  This is very different from noise cancelling headphones.  

The H9 has adjustable noise isolation plus noise cancellation.  Really nice, but very expensive.  There are cheaper alternatives.

https://www.beoplay.com/products/beoplayh9
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-09-2017, 06:29 PM)Aram Wrote: ... So for the sake of argument, suppose I end up with a conventional stereo. ...

Suppose you really want CD with amplifier on top. What about making a cabinet, with pleated filter and PC fan at the rear, and front plate of the cabinet cut to be as close as possible to the edges of front panels.

Probably good idea to have some real doors to close front or some transparent hood covering top half of the front. If cabinet mounted at the shoulder level you could operate it without front interfering.
[quote pid='7535413' dateline='1507586957']
This is a great post and have enjoyed all of the replies. They have answered many of the questions that I have also had on the subject of music in the shop. I don't want to mess up this post, but would like to extend it a bit. One ongoing problem I have regarding music in the shop is static. I like to listen to local radio stations, but with the lights on, I get so much static that I can't hear much of the station(s) that I tune into.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to eliminate this static problem?
[/quote]
There is a fine line between woodworking and insanity - sometimes I am not sure which side of the line I am on.
I've had my old pro logic receiver in the shop for 10 years with no problems. When everything went to HDMI, I was forced to upgrade. The old shop receiver only worked on the left channel but I got it dirt cheap (never had left and right from the get go).

As for the static, obviously trying different lights would help. The are causing interference. If you don't want to swap lights, you could try streaming the radio and plug your phone into the receiver. When I'm using my hearing protection, I can plug my phone into it and I'll use a streaming app to listen to the radio. Anyway, if you can stream, you won't get the radio frequency interference.
LIL Big thanks to everyone for all the suggestions!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I'm still getting my shop together from a move we made 18 months ago. For this one I started out thinking I would put the T 8 fixtures in again, and then remembered the interference problems (along with other things) I had. I decided to go LED. When i was fighting the interference problem I never found a way to eliminate. The only 2 things I know of would be to 1) change lights, or 2) get a different source for the radio. Bluetooth makes your phone (if you have one, I don't) a radio. In my case I put the internet in my last shop and used the Iheart radio app. There are other reasons to change to LEDs but it will mean spending some money.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I had a Panasonic mini system with a 3 cd changer in my last shop, sat up high on a shelf for 10 years of making dust and did not have any problems with the cd player or the tuner/amplifier.  If you try to close it off from the dust (a plastic bag was mentioned) you'll overheat it and kill it way faster than the dust would, unless you do something crazy like use a fan/filter combo to supply clean/cool air.  My guess is just put it on a shelf and you'll be fine, but still I wouldn't spend $10k on a system that you're going to treat that way.
I have a small crt tv in my garage.  It is in an enclosure with a plexiglass front furnace filters on the sides for airflow.  Been that ways for years without issue.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"