Digital read out for jointer-planer
I use mine like Barry, on a jointer/planer. Having to lower the planer bed to use the jointer makes it useful to be able to return the planer bed to a setting without making several passes "to dial it in".It took a little thinking about how to mount and calibrate the iGaging 12" unit but it has worked well. One of the pleasant surprises is battery life. 2 Cr2032 batteries last 18 - 24 mos. And it's good about maintaining its setting. If you think one will help you, get it. If you don't think so, don't get one. It really isn't that complicated.
Wow Steve (or is it George?)....just wow.

I legitimately asked to explain how it takes 3x longer to use stating specifically how I saw its use (as I said I don't have one) based on your initial comments You stated that it takes 3X to use but provide no specifics only vaguely reference the manual for the answer. I was curious and read the manual but didn't see the slow down you stated. Your response ..."I have one on a wide belt sander, and to use it takes 3 X the time, and it get's not much in accuracy over just measuring the thickness after a pass, and adjusting accordingly. Like a really great fishing lure, it catches more anglers than fish." (This just repeats what you said again without any supporting facts)

I ask again this time joking about fish stories (based on your comments), Your response .."Perhaps I should just say I am 3x faster than you working stock, not having to play with a toy.." (Now you are trying add insult but again add no supporting facts.)

You then make the spectacular statement "I still have no idea how that has anything to do with angling". Uh, if you look at your statement above, you were the one who brought it up!

You asked "Perhaps you can point out where I hoped you felt bad" First you will never make feel anything I don't want to, Second, if you read what I said "other than trying to make people feel bad about something that seems to help them" you will see I said 'try' (failed). Typically a superiority statement like yours "Always good to see that a person's experience is wrong, if it doesn't match the fantasy you have in your mind. " is an attempt to put the other person down.

Finally you say "Hyperbole much?? "

"it takes 3x the time to use this product" Steve N
"I am 3x faster than you" Steve N
"I still have no idea how that has anything to do with angling" Steve N

Apparently you are the expert!

Just wow! I am sure you will provide yet another post, could you please provide some supporting facts? (if you have any).

I am glad all the other users have found this tool useful.

Carl
(10-14-2017, 10:29 PM)Carl10 Wrote: Wow Steve (or is it George?)....just wow.

Finally you say "Hyperbole much?? "

"it takes 3x the time to use this product" Steve N
"I am 3x faster than you" Steve N
"I still have no idea how that has anything to do with angling" Steve N

Apparently you are the expert!

Just wow! I am sure you will provide yet another post, could you please provide some supporting facts? (if you have any).

I am glad all the other users have found this tool useful.

Carl

Who would get upset by anything written by Steve N? He has always been like that...just hot air and facts thin (or non-existent). If you take anything he writes seriously, you're nuts. I don't. In his world, there is only ONE way of doing things, his way. I don't and won't use a digital read-out in my planer but I don't think, once installed and calibrated, it will slow down your work.

If he used a Japanese plane, he would say those using western planes were dead wrong before they pushed...and vice versa. His mind is as closed as no one can imagine.

Simon
Simon,

Thanks for that. Good to know. I was coming to that same conclusion.

Carl
(10-12-2017, 11:03 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: 20" griz here with the wixey. I use mine quite often. I have a notepad laying on the planner and right down the numbers for the last pass and the project name.
If I need another board, I refer to the pad.
Winkgrin

Now that is a great Idea.

I have the wixly but have not mounted it yet trying to figure out how to do it first.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(10-14-2017, 02:55 PM)Admiral Wrote: Wow, this is starting to sound like a SawStop thread...........

Here you go Rich

Who needs stinking measuring tools I do it by eye or by finger tips. 
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(10-17-2017, 04:50 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Now that is a great Idea.

I have the wixly but have not mounted it yet trying to figure out how to do it first.

What planer do you have Arlin?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

BTW
Hartville Tool is the best place to buy one, especially with the woodnet discount  WN15  makes it $59.46 shipping included
Cool
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Thanks Woodshop I never knew there was a discount! Are there any others we should know about?

I just became aware of HD and Lowes matching the Menards 11% rebate. So whenever Menards has a 11% rebate week, HD and Lowes does the same.

https://www.lowes.com/pdf/11percentrebate.pdf
https://www.homedepotrebates11percent.com/#/home

Hope this helps someone.

Carl
Carl we have a resident here Brian in sunny FL and he is Holbren Precision cutting tools. If you need router bits, saw blades, Byrd heads, he offers great regular prices, and a WoodNet discount.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW