Who is using a wedgie sled for cutting segments? - sled design question
Good morning

While reading avou the wedgie sled and looking at plans I ran across this design in the picture.
I read several comments on the original sled whereas folks said that they wished they had made the fixed pin location wider to accommodate bigger segments. The T track design would eliminate this problem.
Other than the fact that the slot in the fences would have to become exactly perpendicular to both fences, can anyone see any drawbacks in this design?
I would like get feedback from folks using wedgie sleds before I jump in and build mine.

Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

(10-12-2017, 06:52 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: Good morning

While reading avou the wedgie sled and looking at plans I ran across this design in the picture.
I read several comments on the original sled whereas folks said that they wished they had made the fixed pin location wider to accommodate bigger segments.  The T track design would eliminate this problem.
Other than the fact that the slot  in the fences would have to become exactly perpendicular to both fences, can anyone see any drawbacks in this design?
I would like get feedback from folks using wedgie sleds before I jump in and build mine.

Thanks

Dusty,
I have made the fixed sled and found no problems with using it.  I used mdt as the base and screw inserts at the blade end.  I was a little/lot sloppy making the moving side and just updated it.  Instead of recessing the bottom of the mdf for the bolts on the moving end I added strips of 1/8 hardboard to the bottom.
I think you could make  the fixed end any distance apart to fit what size wedge you expect to make.  I am not sure you would ever need more than 4 or 5 inches between them.
You can make a quick sled to try it, by attaching two fences to a sled with either a 45 or 30-60 triangle. 
Bob
Thanks Bob,
Do you have any input on how the above sled would work?
If this one is a more versatile option with regard to capabilities I think that I will use it.
I have some corian, and I only want to make one sled.
Figured it made sense to get input from the folks that have already been down this path.

Thanks
(10-12-2017, 08:26 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: Thanks Bob,
Do you have any input on how the above sled would work?
If this one is a more versatile option with regard to capabilities I think that I will use it.
I have some corian, and I only want to make one sled.
Figured it made sense to get input from the folks that have already been down this path.

Thanks

I don't have any direct input on how it would work.  I though I found a youtube on one, but can't find it now.  I am not sure I see any advantage to the two track method.??  I am thinking (perhaps wrongly) that you would need to make the fence with slots which could make it harder to adjust.  Can't get my head around how this would be advantage.????
I was going to update my mdf with corian, but deiced to fix exiting one.  If I would have though about adding the 1/8 hard board to bottom, I may have used it.
The latest update on my sled I drilled the fence holes at the same distance.  Inserted the brass thread inserts in mdf and used the fence to drill the arc for the moveable end.-- cleaned up with router.  Made the base for router and drilled hole for fixed end as the center for router template.  Used the 1/4 bit to plunge through the base so the radius would be correct.  Seemed to work well.

Note the top fence must be exact width, if not the cut wedge will not match the angle use to set the fence and the ring will be off.
The 2 advantages that I perceived (I could be wrong) are ;

-The distance between the two fixed pins could be changed to accommodate larger segments

-The sled could be used with just one fence centered on the sled
The pictured sled is the type I made for mine. Works great. So far I have not had any problems with this design.
Can you please tell me what you used for sled length and width as well as track placement /spacing?

Did you find plans online?

Thanks
(10-12-2017, 09:54 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: The 2 advantages that I perceived (I could be wrong) are ;

-The distance between the two fixed pins could be changed to accommodate larger segments

Dusty

I have the sled and sent all the parts to Scenerymaker and he put them together for me and I gave one to a friend.  I also wondered if I would need it wider then the 2" but figured that was plenty wide for everything I would make.  That setup you shown looks like it will work.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(10-12-2017, 09:54 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: The 2 advantages that I perceived (I could be wrong) are ;

You are exactly right. I've expressed my concerns about the fixed ends of the dual fence setup in other threads on the topic. The sled you show is much more more versatile. I still have one concern and it may never be a factor depending on the size of turnings you do. Hope I can explain my reasoning.

When I start ripping stock for a turning I cut multiple boards at the widest segment dimension called for. These boards can run up to 4 or 5 feet long. I cut some segments from each board to avoid any color runs that can happen by cutting segments from the same board in sequential order. In my experience single runner, narrow sleds are not very stable when crosscutting pieces that long. With all that said my turnings are larger than most so this may not pose a problem for someone using shorter stock.
(10-12-2017, 06:52 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: Good morning

I read several comments on the original sled whereas folks said that they wished they had made the fixed pin location wider to accommodate bigger segments.  The T track design would eliminate this problem.
Other than the fact that the slot  in the fences would have to become exactly perpendicular to both fences, can anyone see any drawbacks in this design?

Thanks

One additional comment.  I use toggle clamps on both fences to hold boards in place while cutting the wedge.  I am not sure you could do this with the both ends movable on the fence.

Bob