Massive Dining Table
(10-13-2017, 05:14 PM)cvillewood Wrote: That really is a ridiculous size. Have you gone over simple ergonomics with him so he knows what he’s asking for?  

I’m 6’1” and can just barely reach 35” (center of table). Image a 5’ tall woman trying?

And could you clarify the comment about expanding to counter height?  The table is supposed to raise up too?

This.

The ergonomics are really unworkable.
(10-17-2017, 08:19 PM)winstonsmith Wrote: This.

The ergonomics are really unworkable.

Ya'll just need to use "pot passers".....
Laugh

Beverly Hillbillies

Ed
Wow, I've never heard of a table that wide...................
(10-12-2017, 09:17 PM)Rick H Wrote: I bought 48" table expansion slides. My concern is will the slides hold up being a table this big from the weight and sag. Anyone have any ideas or experience with something this large where the legs will move as you expand the top?

No, don't have experience with a table that large.  My parents wanted to be able to seat 10 people at their table that max sits 6.

I went with a hybrid approach using the techniques in this article:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/2012/03/1...ning-table

I used heavy duty drawer slides rated for 200lbs each and attached them to some oak rails.  The rails then screw into the underside of the table.  I also made two 20" leaves.  I veneered some shop-sawn oak onto plywood to keep the weight of the leaves down.  Now the table can seat 6, 8, or 10 people.

Paul
A lot of good ideas. Could not talk the client into a narrow table that expands. He wants to be able to comfortable seat 2 per side (8) with no leaves. He also currently has a counter height table and wants that to match his chairs. He doesn't care about the weight to expand it. I am hoping that with the 48" slides that can hold 4 12" slides (
he only wants 2 12" leaves) that it will be sturdy enough to hold up.  I will see once I get it built. If it does sag I will figure out more support for when it is expanded. (I'm liking the drawer slide idea). I won't be able to start on it for a couple of weeks but will try to post a follow up on how it works.