Screws or nails for PT posts
Which is best to connect PT posts to post bases? With PT posts being wet I was wondering if it would be best to use structural screws instead of nails.
(10-13-2017, 06:56 AM)Bope Wrote: Which is best to connect PT posts to post bases? With PT posts being wet I was wondering if it would be best to use structural screws instead of nails.

Screws would be better.  Remember the screws need to be made for PT lumber.   Roly
(10-13-2017, 06:56 AM)Bope Wrote: Which is best to connect PT posts to post bases? With PT posts being wet I was wondering if it would be best to use structural screws instead of nails.

Did you decide to use the three-sided base? If so, the bases come with screws for attaching the posts. Check the quality. They will probably work fine.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImag...10c33e.pdf

If you need to buy screws, Simpson makes a screw for this purpose. Too bad you have to buy 100 but you can give the extras to your contractor.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Stron.../202071152 -- these screws also come in #10 size
BOPE - Screw it! In the BORGs they have decking screws. I use the green ones (forgot the name) but they are tough. Get the ones with that need the star driver. With a good hammer drill you can sink them puppies good. Remember size matters.
Make sure that the screws are designed for this application.

The threads on screws are larger than the base diameter of the screw, and that is the part that will be stressed in shear.  While a nail's body can be just marginally smaller than the hole in the Stimson Strong Tie, a screw must be significantly smaller than that hole so that the threads can clear.

Also, nails are very malleable.  Screws need to be much harder to resist the twisting.  They are more brittle too.  Anyone who has had a screw head snap off will attest to that.  (How many nail heads have you ever seen snap off).

You can see clearly that the threads are larger than the screw body:

[Image: deck%20screw.jpg]

I would screws exclusively to apply the decking to the under-structure.  I would only use screws that were specifically designed for Stimson Strong Ties for the brackets, or nails sized for that purpose.

I have a palm nailer and it pretty much eliminates all the issues associated with driving the nails in the understructure:

[Image: senco.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.