concealed hinge question
My design for a tv stand/base has a pair of cabinets with non-equal sides.
The two sides are are square with the back, but the hinge side of the cabinet is something like 9 inches deep, while the opposite/resting side of the cabinet is about 11 inches deep.
The resulting tangent angle at the face from the short side to the other is about 6-7%.

I want to install soft close concealed hinges for the doors that will go onto these cabinets.
The hinge will pull the door closed, but due to the non-equal sides the hinges will never come to the zero degrees they otherwise would if this were just a box with four 90 degree corners.
So I'm thinking that the hinges will then always be in tension trying to pull the door closed by that last 6 degrees or so and never in a resting position  when the doors are closed.

I have found self closing hinges that are adjustable in every way except the stopping point.
The hinge will travel as far as the cabinet stops or as far as the hinge will travel to the closed position.

Any ideas if this 6-7 degrees will make a difference to the hinge or damage it over a short amount of time?

thanks,
Ray
Ray
(10-13-2017, 01:39 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: My design for a tv stand/base has a pair of cabinets with non-equal sides.
The two sides are are square with the back, but the hinge side of the cabinet is something like 9 inches deep, while the opposite/resting side of the cabinet is about 11 inches deep.
The resulting tangent angle at the face from the short side to the other is about 6-7%.

I want to install soft close concealed hinges for the doors that will go onto these cabinets.
The hinge will pull the door closed, but due to the non-equal sides the hinges will never come to the zero degrees they otherwise would if this were just a box with four 90 degree corners.
So I'm thinking that the hinges will then always be in tension trying to pull the door closed by that last 6 degrees or so and never in a resting position  when the doors are closed.

I have found self closing hinges that are adjustable in every way except the stopping point.
The hinge will travel as far as the cabinet stops or as far as the hinge will travel to the closed position.

Any ideas if this 6-7 degrees will make a difference to the hinge or damage it over a short amount of time?

thanks,
Ray

Even when fully closed, self closing Euro hinges are under some load.  They aren't really in a resting position.  I don't have any real knowledge but my opinion is that hinge life will not be affected much, if at all. 

John
(10-13-2017, 05:12 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Even when fully closed, self closing Euro hinges are under some load.  They aren't really in a resting position.  I don't have any real knowledge but my opinion is that hinge life will not be affected much, if at all. 

John

Me too!
Jim