I try and stay busy in the shop
Yup, I like to find wood with interesting grain and highlight it.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Great post and photos.

As an accomplished woodworker, you shall live a long an peaceful life.

Remember going to the Avenue of Giants in CA. Mind blowing experience.

Sequoia sempervirens, the tree that lives forever according to Indian lore
because when the main tree dies after some hundred years, one of the pups
will grow up to take its place.
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
Thanks FLR,

I find the time in the woodshop keeps me calm. 
Smirk
Got out there this yesterday evening and this morning working on the Walnut sides for the project.  Last night I cut and glued up the sides.  This including cutting them to length, cutting the Rabbits for the Bottom panel, and running the Veritas Shoulder plane across the rabbits to smooth out the grooves left by the table saw.  (I can't do everything by hand...) 
Rolleyes  I have a plow plane, but I was not able to use it last night. 
Sad

I love that little plane, it's a joy to use.  Nearly all the planes are a pleasure, especially after I touch up the irons.  Any tool with an edge is more enjoyable if the edge is sharp.. 
Winkgrin

I glued the pieces together and used two band clamps due to width.  Left them overnight and came back out this morning...

After removing the clamps and putting them away, it was time for cleanup.  Used various specialty chisels to remove the squeezeout, then two planes to dress up the top and corners of the "box" frame.  Then on to the scraper for the top and edges.  After the rough smoothing, I notice one defect I wanted to address.  It was a crack with a hole in the line.

Time for the Hot Stuff CT to come to the rescue again.

Run a bead of the Hot Stuff on the site of the repair and let it soak in...

Hit it with a spritz of the accelerator...

I scrape it with the card scraper and then check the success of the repair.  I repeat the three steps until it's flush and clean.  Two or three apps usually does the job unless the hole or defect is unusually large.  With a large gap, you can add sawdust to help fill and blend.  Not needed here and two passes did the job.

I laid the top on the frame to check the appearance of the contrast.  I think it will look pretty good.  The bottom trim is also mahogany if I decide to use it.  I may just go with what we see here.  I think I'll make this a man's box with an upper half tray that slides left and right for rings, cuff links, and tie bars, and storage underneath for passports, watches and the like.... maybe....

Watch this space. 
Laugh
Jim in Okie
I like those proportions. 

I'll save my questions for later, you usually cover it.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
Feel free to ask Tom, my method for boxes is to let the wood lead the project.
On major projects, I do detailed plans, including drawings. Then am not afraid to make adjustments midstream as needed.
I'm also not embarrassed to admit I don't have a clue... lol.
Jim in Okie
Great looking work there!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Jim, all I can say is "Real nice!".
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Hi Jim

More please on the defect, and a better pic of or a link to the "hot stuff" New to me, but I've done this with PVA glue, and fine sawdust, or even sanding the PVA glue in with a ROS, for a long time. Depends how sweet that fix looks maybe you make me a "hot stuff" customer. Would you say this is more in line with the epoxy people use to set in turquoise and such?

Box is looking famous right now, just lean the trim where you are thinking of it and take a pic. I think I'd stop there. KISS method for guy stuff, frill it all up for the girls.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
If you can't shave with a blade, it is not sharp.
Steve,

I'll add more pics tomorrow. I think I've made the bottom trim too wide, but can trim off a half inch and recut the quarter molded edge with the molding plane. Part of the fun.
As for the Hot Stuff...
http://www.caglue.com

The glues are available from Amazon, Lee Valley, Woodcraft... and others. I have had good results, but you have to take your time. It has allowed me to save pieces most would have scrapped.
Jim in Okie