I try and stay busy in the shop
Clean up that messy shop.
Slap 
Winkgrin
Winkgrin 

Your card scraper. Did you make the holder?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I didn't make the scraper.
It either came from Lee Valley or Woodcraft, and I have used the dang thing for more than a decade. Really handy.
I did clean the shop... sorta. After each phase, I put away tools. Otherwise I loose em, then I spend an hour wandering around the shop... wondering where the heck that doo dah went?
I also brushed off the bench and other work areas... and swept... but... I'll dirty it again after breakfast.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Found it... woodcraft still sells it.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woode...per-holder
Jim in Okie
(10-18-2017, 12:15 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: Found it... woodcraft still sells it.

Thanks. Looks handy. Maybe I'll make one this winter.
I have a LN card scraper set, and a half dozen or so scraper cutouts I got from Dom some time ago. I'd like to have at least one of them in a handle.
Steve

Mo.

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I decided to start on the bottom trim today, and I had been looking at it in comparison to the rest of the box, and had a feeling it would be too wide.  I put it against the box and took a look and.. 
Angry   ... yup, I felt aesthetically, it was not in balance with the rest of the box.

So, I took a few measurements and decided where I wanted to end up, set up the tablesaw and ripped down the length, trimming off the rolled edge.
I then re-rolled the edge with the same molding plane.

As I was rolling the edge, I felt the plane start to drag and the iron started to dig, time to resharpen the iron.  A few passes on the medium diamond stone, the 1000 grit and 4000 grit water stone, and the leather strop, and we were back in business.

A good morning's work produced four new pieces of bottom trim

And a quick check showed they would be more in balance with the rest of the project.

As requested, here is a better look at the CT Hot Stuff repair.  When the final sanding is done, this will blend so well you won't know it's there.

The next trip to the shop will have me cutting them to fit, and adding the interior panel for the bottom.  We are moving closer to the point where I begin to start the real finish sanding and apply the finishes. 

** Keep in mind that in ALL the pictures so far, the pieces you see are in the rough stages and have not gotten thru the sanding stages.  Scraping with a card file is the most they have seen. 
Raised  On some of my projects, I go to 400 grit... on some just to 220, on some, I go much higher... depends on the project. 
Smirk
Jim in Okie
(10-18-2017, 12:15 AM)BrokenOlMarine Wrote: Found it... woodcraft still sells it.

I bought one several years ago from Manny from Ky who used to travel the woodworking show route, and did a few WIA's. It is/was plastic, but shaped just like that. I found it put a kink in my cards, and actually flexed them too much, or they would fall out of it. I do really well just barely bending them in my hands. I think they are meant to just barely bend, the cards that is. I have never seen someone demonstrating card scrapers, use one. One of those fishing lure deals, catches more woodworkers than it does woodwork.
Big Grin

But that is me, if I find it Steve, I'll shoot it your way, you can evaluate to see if you want a prettier one.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
This wooden one has been used with the same two scrapers for years, they are still flat and true and as you see in this thread, perform well.
Jim in Okie
(10-18-2017, 04:50 PM)Steve N Wrote: I bought one several years ago from Manny from Ky who used to travel the woodworking show route, and did a few WIA's. It is/was plastic, but shaped just like that. I found it put a kink in my cards, and actually flexed them too much, or they would fall out of it. I do really well just barely bending them in my hands. I think they are meant to just barely bend, the cards that is. I have never seen someone demonstrating card scrapers, use one. One of those fishing lure deals, catches more woodworkers than it does woodwork.
Big Grin

But that is me, if I find it Steve, I'll shoot it your way, you can evaluate to see if you want a prettier one.

Cool  Thanks
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I have been lax in posting, but I got out this morning and applied finish to the component pieces.  I'll assemble them after they have a chance to dry.  Prior to applying the finish, I always test the prospective finishes on offcuts of the wood involved.  I used Watco's Golden Oak, Natural, and Dark Walnut for this morning's tests; on Walnut, White Oak, and Mahogany.  After the testing... I went with the Dark Walnut for the Walnut.  I chose Golden Oak for the White Oak and Mahogany components.

This is my favorite part of any project, as this is where you learn if your appraisal of the grain in the project was accurate.  This morning, the grain in the white oak insert POPPED out at me with the first stroke of the oil soaked rag.  I was grinning like an idjit as I applied the finish.  Luckily I was alone in the shop. 
Winkgrin

The Dark Walnut and the Mahogany Trim pieces both turned out nice as well, but the top will be the center of this piece... 
Smirk

After the pieces are all dry, I may apply another coat of both finishes prior to assembly, or I may decide to go with another coat of the Golden Oak over the entire project after assembly.  I have learned that you can use the lighter Watco Oils over the darker and it doesn't detract, just gives you a warmer look.

After a few days I'll wax the box with Beeswax for a soft sheen.

Yes
Jim in Okie
(10-18-2017, 07:21 PM)Stwood_ Wrote:
Cool  Thanks

Currently it's playing hard to find
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

I'll shout at ya when I next see it.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW