A chuck question
I am going to be upgrading to a better chuck. Currently use the cheapie grizzly chuck with Tommy bars. They don't always hold. So,I am considering several different chucks, the prices vary. I'm looking at the better grizzly chuck, the Nova sn-2, record , or the sorby patriot. I dont need a lot of grizzly bashing. I need feed back from the owners of these chucks, on thier performance, reliability etc. Thanks guys

Bill
Carpe Lignum! Torne Lignum!
Also consider what type of work that you will be doing both now and in the future. You want a chuck that can take all of the types of Jaws that you will want to use.
Also consider the Oneway chucks.I have had a Talon for the past 15 years and it has been great.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(10-14-2017, 08:58 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: Also consider what type of work that you will be doing both now and in the future.  You want a chuck that can take all of the types of Jaws that you will want to use.

One of the reasons I bought a Vicmarc VM120 for my first chuck. more jaws choices than you can shake a turning at. Not to mention one of the best chucks. But a bit on the pricey side .
One of the reasons I bought a Grizzly H6267, It's a Vicmarc 100 clone and the jaws are interchangeable with them with lots of choices. grizzly has been raising their prices though, making them not as appealing as they once were. I bought 4 of them under $75 like new off ebay , but they rarely come up, like the last one took almost 2 years for one to come up. they all have closed backs to keep the dirt out, all in all a nice chuck.
Grizzly has another chuck  T10809 kit with several different jaws. it appears to look the same as the 6267. If I was looking at a grizzly chuck I would call CS to see if it is the same. that looks like a good deal if it is. it would require an adapter for the 1x8 or what ever you have.
There are lots other possibilities as far as other choices other than grizzly. If you want to bite the bullet Vicmarc 100 or 120 is an excellent choice.
Yes
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
I have this chuck.
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSC3000C.html
Works like a charm for everything I do with it.
I recently bought a Grizzly lathe and bought the SN2. Great chuck. I have the G3 and the jaws are interchangeable.
I am happy with the SN2.

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
I have a grizzly 1495 lathe the spindle is 1x12. That rules out the talon. Does anyone have experience with the record chuck the craft supplies sells? The nova looks very good for the money.
Carpe Lignum! Torne Lignum!
(10-14-2017, 03:26 PM)wgbaggs Wrote: I have a grizzly 1495 lathe the spindle is 1x12.  That rules out the talon.   Does anyone have experience with the record chuck the craft supplies sells?  The nova looks very good for the money.

They sell spindle adapters you can use to fit most anything to something else these days.
You will need the adaptor on any chuck you buy nowdays. 8 teeth per inch seems more and more the common.

I have three nova 2 and like them. Have different jaws on all of them and a couple in the drawer. None of them have failed. If something goes wrong it is the operator. I have a barracuda chuck I bought on an auction in a box lot in a drawer. Have had thought about getting the jumbo jaws for it. Just something else I haven't got around to doing yet.

I'm looking at getting the grizzly 766 by next spring. All my chucks will fit just need to remove the adapters.
I've had the SN2 for over 8 years now and am very happy with it. I got it shortly after I bought my first lathe, Jet 1220VS. When I got my Robust, I only had to get a new adapter and so far it's handled everything I've needed it for.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper