Stanley 5 1/2 Tune Up Dilemma
I pulled out what I presumed was my Stanley 5 1/2 to give it a tune up this weekend, and I now realize that besides having what probably is a Frankenplane, I have a plane with a sole truly out of flat.  The plane bellies at the mouth which is a 1/16" lower than either the heel and toe.  The sole is also cupped across its width, and is waney on the diagonals.  

Even if I could lap the sole flat on my glass and sandpaper set up -- which seems like a lifetime of work -- I would end up thinning the sole at the mouth, while widening it considerably.  Neither seems like a welcome proposition.

Any thoughts on how I might proceed to fettle this plane?  Is it worth sending out to have the sole trued?

The only markings on the plane are the "5 1/2" embossed into the toe and a faint "Stanley" mark on the lateral adjuster.  No patent date or numbers anywhere.  Not sure if it is black from Japaning or a paint job.  Also, ignore what appears to be hand scraping marks on the sole; this is a shadow pattern left by the non-skid mat the plane was resting on inside a drawer.

A few pictures.

[attachment=5025][attachment=5026][attachment=5027][attachment=5028]
In my shop it would be called a donor. Maybe you can find a better sole and transfer most of your parts.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(10-14-2017, 09:45 PM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: In my shop it would be called a donor. Maybe you can find a better sole and transfer most of your parts.

I suspected as much.
Get a big rough cut file and go to town, it will take off material fast, 12-14 inch is what I would recommend.

Slav
"More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego..."   -Albert Einstein.
(10-15-2017, 12:19 AM)Slav Jelesijevich Wrote: Get a big rough cut file and go to town, it will take off material fast, 12-14 inch is what I would recommend.

Slav

/\ This

I've went this route on a couple really bad planes. Used a Sharpie and sandpaper to check progress. As for opening of the mouth, I have a smoother that had the throat opened up so much that it looked like you could throw a cat through it, I adjusted the frog and set the chipbreaker tight and went on with it.

Thats to nice a looking plane for it's age not to give it a go.
(10-15-2017, 05:48 AM)Laid-Back Wrote: /\ This

I've went this route on a couple really bad planes. Used a Sharpie and sandpaper to check progress. As for opening of the mouth, I have a smoother that had the throat opened up so much that it looked like you could throw a cat through it, I adjusted the frog and set the chipbreaker tight and went on with it.

Thats to nice a looking plane for it's age not to give it a go.

Yes, don't be concerned with the mouth on a # 5 1/2 in my opinion.  Give it a go at "flattening"... but I encourage you that after awhile of "flattening", go try to plane some boards with it... let that be your test... more so than a strait edge...
I'll add my 2 cents; +1 for everything above. The frog adjustment should close your mouth just fine. On a jack, I would worry too much about the sole being perfectly flat. So long as the toe, mouth, and heel are pretty close, the plane will function just fine.

Have a go with a file, then your sand paper, then test on some boards. It's the best way to check, without a doubt.

David
+1 on taking a file to it, you got nothing to lose. Again, just get it close and see how it works, you will be pleasantly surprised.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I had at it a bit this afternoon.  A lot of "planing" on 60 grit sandpaper atop 5/8" thick glass.  I've made a lot of progress, but I think I'm going to have to get out the files -- as recommended -- and draw some iron.

Thanks for the encouragement!

All the finest -- from Los Angeles.  Greg
(10-14-2017, 09:10 PM)gregbois Wrote: I pulled out what I presumed was my Stanley 5 1/2 to give it a tune up this weekend, and I now realize that besides having what probably is a Frankenplane, I have a plane with a sole truly out of flat.  The plane bellies at the mouth which is a 1/16" lower than either the heel and toe.  The sole is also cupped across its width, and is waney on the diagonals.  

Even if I could lap the sole flat on my glass and sandpaper set up -- which seems like a lifetime of work -- I would end up thinning the sole at the mouth, while widening it considerably.  Neither seems like a welcome proposition.

Any thoughts on how I might proceed to fettle this plane?  Is it worth sending out to have the sole trued?

The only markings on the plane are the "5 1/2" embossed into the toe and a faint "Stanley" mark on the lateral adjuster.  No patent date or numbers anywhere.  Not sure if it is black from Japaning or a paint job.  Also, ignore what appears to be hand scraping marks on the sole; this is a shadow pattern left by the non-skid mat the plane was resting on inside a drawer.

A few pictures.
Any thoughts on how I might proceed to fettle this plane? Is it worth sending out to have the sole trued?

If it were mine, I would flatten the sole on my 6X48" stationary belt grinder.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset