Connecting New Roof to Old Roof
Question 
Friends,

For the last week, my contractor has been building my new porte cochere (aka carport).  The new part is directly in front of the garage.  It's a challenging project because the garage is angled relative to the property line but the new carport is parallel to the property line.  The old garage  has a hip roof, the new roof extends the two sides of the old roof forward.  The front slope of the old hip roof disappears under the new roof.  My question is this.  In connecting the new roof rafters to the old garage, they just set the ends onto the roof of the garage (shingles and all) and toenailed the new rafter to the old garage roof.  I had thought that they would have to remove shingles and decking and tie the new rafters to the old garage roof framing.  I asked the contractor about this, and he insisted that this was standard practice and wouldn't budge on doing it differently.  Does this sound like a reasonable technique?  Additional information: the contractor is a well regarded builder in this area.  The new main part of the carport looks very well constructed, very solid.  

(memo to self: ask more questions about construction techniques on the next project).

Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
(10-15-2017, 07:53 AM)MarkSLSmith Wrote: Friends,

For the last week, my contractor has been building my new porte cochere (aka carport).  The new part is directly in front of the garage.  It's a challenging project because the garage is angled relative to the property line but the new carport is parallel to the property line.  The old garage  has a hip roof, the new roof extends the two sides of the old roof forward.  The front slope of the old hip roof disappears under the new roof.  My question is this.  In connecting the new roof rafters to the old garage, they just set the ends onto the roof of the garage (shingles and all) and toenailed the new rafter to the old garage roof.  I had thought that they would have to remove shingles and decking and tie the new rafters to the old garage roof framing.  I asked the contractor about this, and he insisted that this was standard practice and wouldn't budge on doing it differently.  Does this sound like a reasonable technique?  Additional information: the contractor is a well regarded builder in this area.  The new main part of the carport looks very well constructed, very solid.  

(memo to self: ask more questions about construction techniques on the next project).

Mark

It seems to be standard practice where I live.  I have see it done where they go over top of the old shingles, and where they remove the shingles.  I have never seen the decking removed.  In the cases where they removed the shingles, I cannot tell you why they were removed.  It could have been, they were reroofing as well as adding on at the same time.  I was observing work years after the fact, while doing other construction.  I am not in the construction business.  I have owned 3 housed with additions nailed in like you described.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
The decking is part of the overall structure of the old roof. It holds the trusses in place so leaving it in place is perfectly acceptable.
The first time I saw what your contractor is doing, I felt the same way as you did. If they were re-shingling the entire home as part of the job, they probably would have removed the shingles. It's a real pain to cut those old shingles and get them to stay in place while building the addition. I think it's actually better leaving them in place. It's much easier and stronger tying the new shingles and flashing (if any) into the old shingles in the valleys as they are. They will probably cut some. It will look better in the end also.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(10-15-2017, 07:53 AM)MarkSLSmith Wrote: Friends,

Mark

I remove shingles and nail a 2x 8 plate on each side for the rafters to nail to. If I understand you the contractor is nailing rafters onto the roof shingles and into the sheathing, you did not mention a plate. Rafters need good bearing . If plates are not used I would be worried.

mike
I always enjoy seeing pictures of Woodnetters' projects. Did you take any of the roof connection and the framing?
(10-15-2017, 07:53 AM)MarkSLSmith Wrote: I did forget to mention one detail that may be relevant.  Originally, the house had cedar shingles.  Cedar shingles are nailed to 1x4 battens.  When I got the latest new roof, they removed the shingles and put decking over the 1x4 battens.  I guess this means that some of the toenails were nailed through the deck and into the battens.  Not sure this makes any difference to my original post, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX