Kitchen cabinet software.
Any suggestions on a kitchen cabinet software. Something that I can print out elevation drawings so the client can see exactly the layout to scale of the cabinets?

Not sketchup

I usually use Visio but would like something more (Visio stencils might work) Pieces poaasibly already in the software for simple layout

Nothing too expensive

Ideas?
Nothing but crickets I see
(10-15-2017, 09:19 PM)Wipedout Wrote: Nothing but crickets I see

Curious, why not SketchUp?

John
(10-15-2017, 09:33 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Curious, why not SketchUp?

John

I’ve just not gotten comfortable with it the last couple times I tried it.  And don’t have time for the learning curve right now
Try GK Ware Cabinet Maker sketchUcation plug in store. Simple to use and very complete.

Keith
http://cabinetplanner.com/
learning from my mistakes and at this rate i should be ready for my doctorate

jack607 said:

#1 Never, never wait till you need a tool to buy it!

(10-16-2017, 07:55 AM)Wipedout Wrote: I’ve just not gotten comfortable with it the last couple times I tried it.  And don’t have time for the learning curve right now

If you don't want to invest the time in learning software then you should stick with pencil and paper.  That's not meant to be critical; I'm only trying to point out that it takes time to learn any software.  Russel Hudson makes posts here occasionally and usually includes a hand drawing of the design he presents to what I believe are pretty well heeled customers.  His drawings are beautifully done; more impressive to me than computer generated ones.  I use SketchUp because it's more efficient for me to explore design changes and get everything to proper scale.  The point is, whatever method works best for you is fine; it's how you communicate with the customer that matters most. 

John
I understands. And I currently don’t use pencil and paper I use Visio. I’m an IT guy for living I usually don’t have any issues learning software. I’ve prided myself in being able to quickly learn any software package in the past. Maybe it’s my background in 2D drawings back in the day with a T Square or all the years of using Visio. I just didn’t get far with Sketchup.

I’m trying to help a friend with kitchen remodels. He has dozens of houses to remodel due to Hurricane Harvey. He has a cabinet vendor that comes modular in 18 24 36 wide unit etc. I want to draw up the designs so they see a simple visual of the faceing layouts. Hence a simple software package I’ve done one in Visio but oft would be nice if I could create modules and drop them in as I draw the rest. Make sense?
(10-17-2017, 03:22 PM)Wipedout Wrote: I understands. And I currently don’t use pencil and paper I use Visio.  I’m an IT guy for living I usually don’t have any issues learning software. I’ve prided myself in being able to quickly learn any software package in the past. Maybe it’s my background in 2D drawings back in the day with a T Square or all the years of using Visio. I just didn’t get far with Sketchup.  

I’m trying to help a friend with kitchen remodels. He has dozens of houses to remodel due to Hurricane Harvey. He has a cabinet vendor that comes modular in 18 24 36 wide unit etc. I want to draw up the designs so they see a simple visual of the faceing layouts. Hence a simple software package   I’ve done one in Visio but oft would be nice if I could create modules and drop them in as I draw the rest. Make sense?

Learning CAD is a totally different beast, and it does take a lot more time to learn.
(10-17-2017, 03:22 PM)Wipedout Wrote: I understands. And I currently don’t use pencil and paper I use Visio.  I’m an IT guy for living I usually don’t have any issues learning software. I’ve prided myself in being able to quickly learn any software package in the past. Maybe it’s my background in 2D drawings back in the day with a T Square or all the years of using Visio. I just didn’t get far with Sketchup.  

I’m trying to help a friend with kitchen remodels. He has dozens of houses to remodel due to Hurricane Harvey. He has a cabinet vendor that comes modular in 18 24 36 wide unit etc. I want to draw up the designs so they see a simple visual of the faceing layouts. Hence a simple software package   I’ve done one in Visio but oft would be nice if I could create modules and drop them in as I draw the rest. Make sense?

What you want to do is right in the wheelhouse of what SketchUp is good at.  You create components and arrange them as needed, as many copies as needed.  For what you want to do you wouldn't have to learn all that much, just create boxes of whatever width, depth, and height is needed as your components.  Then drag and drop them wherever you want along layout lines.

There must be alternatives to SketchUp, I've seen consumer level kitchen cabinet design packages offered over the years,  but learning the basics of SketchUp is not too hard IF you use someone's guide.  I was frustrated with it, too, until I bought Dave Killen's E-book.  In about 6 hours of following his guide I learned the right way to go about using it and was able to make usable drawings.

I found this in the SketchUp onlline 3D Warehouse:

[Image: LnGJ3PYSrfaBMqSNDA4w5woTG9gNzig9EArR-bxe...06-h575-no]

Often you can download a model someone has already developed and modify it to meet your needs.  

Just some thoughts.

John