Kitchen cabinet software.
(10-15-2017, 01:26 PM)Wipedout Wrote: Any suggestions on a kitchen cabinet software. Something that I can print out elevation drawings so the client can see exactly the layout to scale of the cabinets?

Not sketchup

I usually use Visio but would like something more   (Visio stencils might work) Pieces poaasibly already in the software for simple layout

Nothing too expensive

Ideas?

Over rated. Ketchup is the best for someone that needs a blue print to work from, most of the others are so very expensive if they work, or if they are free/cheap they make errors that just using a tape measure, and doodling a drawing are much superior in final outcome. Plus drawing it out is half the fun
Big Grin Your saw cuts straight lines, or should. So your drawing doesn't actually need the lines to be straight to be understandable, just put measurements on paper as soon as you measure them out, you would need those to make the software work anyhow, doing a proper measuring is half the work, software or not. For detail, just look at pics online until you find the look you want. For anything there is a router, or shaper cutter that does it all, or with 2 or 3 can make the detail you want. A step at a time, and soon enough you are hanging cabs, actually crafted boxes, with doors, and drawers.
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(10-17-2017, 03:22 PM)Wipedout Wrote: I understands. And I currently don’t use pencil and paper I use Visio.  I’m an IT guy for living I usually don’t have any issues learning software. I’ve prided myself in being able to quickly learn any software package in the past. Maybe it’s my background in 2D drawings back in the day with a T Square or all the years of using Visio. I just didn’t get far with Sketchup.  

I’m trying to help a friend with kitchen remodels. He has dozens of houses to remodel due to Hurricane Harvey. He has a cabinet vendor that comes modular in 18 24 36 wide unit etc. I want to draw up the designs so they see a simple visual of the faceing layouts. Hence a simple software package   I’ve done one in Visio but oft would be nice if I could create modules and drop them in as I draw the rest. Make sense?

Most of the kitchen cabinet software systems are "parametric modeling". Cabinets (and their construction details) are loaded in before designing anything. Once set up, it's quick and easy to layout the floor plan of the room and plug in cabinets, but anything odd or custom takes forever. The good ones are incredibly expensive, or you are stuck with someone else's parameters. There is a significant learning curve to any of these.

The beauty of using SketchUp for this is you can use it the same way you would use a parametric modeling program. If you want to use your exact construction details you can make cabinet models and save them to a library. If you don't want to model the cabinets, several manufacturers have their catalogs available on the SketchUp 3D warehouse for free. To use SketchUp for the task you describe, you don't need to learn how to do everything about SketchUp, all you need to learn is:

Model the room; draw a simple floor plan and extrude the walls to height
Find and place models of cabinets in your room model
Extract the 2D information you need; drawings, lists of cabinets, elevations and 3D views

I teach SketchUp and write pdf books with embedded videos about using it. One of the hardest parts of learning SketchUp is to change your mindset from making a drawing in two dimensions and building a model in three. One of my books is called "SketchUp for Kitchen Design" and it will take you through the process you describe above without bogging you down with things you don't need.
Bob Lang
ReadWatchDo.com
(10-19-2017, 09:14 AM)Bob Lang Wrote: Most of the kitchen cabinet software systems are "parametric modeling". Cabinets (and their construction details) are loaded in before designing anything. Once set up, it's quick and easy to layout the floor plan of the room and plug in cabinets, but anything odd or custom takes forever. The good ones are incredibly expensive, or you are stuck with someone else's parameters. There is a significant learning curve to any of these.

The beauty of using SketchUp for this is you can use it the same way you would use a parametric modeling program. If you want to use your exact construction details you can make cabinet models and save them to a library. If you don't want to model the cabinets, several manufacturers have their catalogs available on the SketchUp 3D warehouse for free. To use SketchUp for the task you describe, you don't need to learn how to do everything about SketchUp, all you need to learn is:

Model the room; draw a simple floor plan and extrude the walls to height
Find and place models of cabinets in your room model
Extract the 2D information you need; drawings, lists of cabinets, elevations and 3D views

I teach SketchUp and write pdf books with embedded videos about using it. One of the hardest parts of learning SketchUp is to change your mindset from making a drawing in two dimensions and building a model in three. One of my books is called "SketchUp for Kitchen Design" and it will take you through the process you describe above without bogging you down with things you don't need.

As much as I am no fan of SketchUp, for kitchen design it is the right tool. Some 10 years ago, I designed my kitchen in SketchUp.  The cabinets were imported directly from CraftMaid's website:

This is what my SketchUp model looked like:

This is the finished product before the range and hood spacer were installed:

Good luck with your reno.
chris
Take a look at Ikea.Com.  They have a kitchen design program with loaded cabinets.  It is limited to the cabinets they sell so you can't customize sizes.  But if you are going to use standard sizes it works just fine.  You can colorize all the cabinets.  You can print it with measurements.  This is for basic designs only.  

I too have trouble with sketch-up.  I am also an IT guy - 40 years worth.  I also had several design classes in college.  I just can't get it to work for me.  Maybe a hands on class would be the way to go for me.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
John, have you tried following someone's tutorial, like Dave R1's or Killen's book?  It's the next best thing to taking a class; I found Killen's book to be effective and quick.  I don't think an IT background is better, or worse, than any other; SketchUp has nothing to do with IT other than computers. The basic concepts are the most important things you need to learn; they are critical to success.  Fortunately, they don't take very long to learn if you follow someone's guide.  If you just try to hack around on your own, like I first did because I was pretty good with 2D CAD you will be like one of my golf friends would say - a lost ball in tall weeds.  If that sounds about right get a guide or take a class, as you said.  

You can learn to draw a basic model in less than 8 hours.  And basic is pretty much all you need to make cabinets and furniture.  

John
I've taught hundreds of people how to use SketchUp in live classes, and thousands through my PDF books. It isn't like any other program I've used, and if you try to learn it on your own (as I did) you will most likely struggle with basic concepts and give up in frustration. If you have some guidance in the basic principles of how to navigate the 3D space and how stuff behaves in SketchUp, it doesn't take long to catch on. It takes some practice and you need to practice things that will improve your skills.  It's a lot like learning how to ride a bicycle -- you struggle for a while and then you get it. Once you get it there are huge benefits for designing/planning/problem solving/presentation of your work. You can click the link below my signature to get to my website. There are a bunch of free tutorials and info on my books and classes. Next class is November 11-12 at the Philadelphia Furniture Workshop.
Bob Lang
ReadWatchDo.com
(10-27-2017, 05:01 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: Like Bob, I've taught SketchUp to thousands around the world. Between DVDs, e-books, online courses, classroom and live one-on-one targeted SketchUp training, I've been able to help a lot of folks get to grips with using SketchUp.

My favorite way to teach SketchUp is the one-on-one stuff because it is targeted to exactly what the student wants or needs to learn. No balls lost in the tall weeds.
Smile

What's the link to some online classes.  I want to learn.  I'm good at drawing but it doesn't do 3d and coloring.  That's the nest way to show the customer.  

I went through sketchup training they had when I first got it - I was able to make the chair they used to teach.  I need some more training.  I am a hands on guy so a see and do is best for me.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
(10-28-2017, 01:01 PM)DaveR1 Wrote: I sent you a PM.

FWIW, here's a small kitchen I drew in SketchUp for the cabinetmaker who built the cabinets for his client.
[Image: 24551258533_a2a985706b_z.jpg]

And a "nighttime" view to show the under-cabinet lighting.
[Image: 25063932362_16fbbf63a9_z.jpg]

After the client's approval, I made construction plans including a cutlist for the cabinetmaker to work from.
I use 20 20 Design version 8.1, easy to use and very powerful (parametric).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTce8JLV8ak
I started using 3D Home Architect decades ago. The cabinet part is easy. You can draw four walls (with specific details for interior and exterior) with your mouse then click and drag to size or click again to edit by entering dimensions. Add doors and windows (again with specific details like type of window, divided lites, interior and exterior casing and sills, mulled units, shades and curtains, and more) Click on the room and define ceiling height, wall color, finish flooring, moldings ect.. Now click on cabinets and drop a default cabinet into the room. Now spin it around and push it towards a wall. Dbl. click and choose sink base; edit the size if needed, change the door style or swing, modify the toe kick or almost anything you want, then click again and click "center tool". Now click on the window and it's centered. Click on the "wall elevation tool" and bingo! Click on "view" and choose "tiled vertically" and when you add cabinets they appear in both views. Copy and paste similar type cabinets in either view then edit the sizes. You can add fillers, door/drawer pulls, crown molding, and other details. Choose any backsplash or countertop you want, add lights anywhere, and even put the table you saw at Ethan Allan in the corner with your favorite paintings hanging on the wall. You might want bar stools at the island or perhaps coats hanging near the door.The options are almost endless, and whenever you want you can do a 3D walk-through, or rip the ceiling off and fly around looking down. There's auto, baseline and center-line dimensions, stock lists, layout sheet templates. basically everything needed for a full set of construction drawings from the footings to the ridge vent. The kitchen cabinets are just a small portion of a program created for builders and Architects.  

The newest and best Chief Architect is on sale for just over $2000, but you can do everything above for less than $100 with one of their consumer versions. The also offer free trials and rentals. You can get more info here.   https://www.chiefarchitect.com/   My only association is that I use and like their programs.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"