Miter Saw recommendations
(10-18-2017, 07:57 AM)Cooler Wrote: Of the miter saws I looked at only the Dewalt has a stamped index for angles.  Stampings are almost 100% repeatable and can be very accurate.  The other saws use "as cast" indents that cannot be nearly as accurate.  I bought the Dewalt.

Dewalt miter saw index (note that it is adjustable for true zero).
[Image: dewalt-dw708-blade.jpg]
This Bosch miter saw has "as cast" index for angles and is not adjustable for true zero and is typical of the other saws I looked at.
[Image: 000346374490.jpg]

Thanks for all of the input. Right now, I'm leaning hard toward the Dewalt DW715 12" single bevel non slider (Basic simple saw) which I can get for $227.00 delivered to my door or a price match at my local lowes.

Thanks for the help
Don
I have an older version of that saw.  A workhorse.  But heavy.  A consideration if you are going to be dragging it around to job sites.  

For me that means either running up and down stairs to the basement for cuts or carrying it out to the deck.  For one or two cuts I will use the stairs.  For 6 or more I will carry it upstairs.

For the 3 to 5 it is decisions, decisions, decisions.

I also have a 7-1/2 chop saw.  Very light, but limited to about 5" wide material.  Whenever I can, I will work on the little saw upstairs.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
A couple of years ago I replaced my DeWalt 10' fixed with a 12" slider. Home Depot had them on sale for $399. A chop saw is one of those tools you never knew you needed. As you've no likely discovered they are versatile. The 12" slider gives you additional capacity. My DeWalt is solidly built and well designed. Definitely one of the models you want to consider. Watch Home Depot especially around Christmas time. I noticed that last year they had my same model on sale for $299 - which is in your price range.

Best
I had an early Bosch slider 10" replaced it with a DeWalley Just like this one absolutely NO bells and whistles, Plain Jane Vanilla. But it has specs really close to my 10" slider, is a dead flat cut due to many less moving parts, and for what I am using it for, it works just fine. It was 99bux on Black Friday at either Lowes or Home Cheapo a few years ago. Mike of HUGE barn fame put me onto a LED light kit for it, and it was like a laser pointer with pinpoint accuracy, total was around 150 bux. Someone dinked these because they couldn't cut an angle both ways
Confused
Confused
Confused
Confused

I guess they never though to flip the board over???

Simple stupid saw, and it makes awesome cuts. Just an alternative to the high priced "bells and whistles" variety. 99% of my cuts on it, are just to rough cut off an end, or "whack it off" If I want accurate it's on a TS sled.

Whatever you end up thinking you will get, this late in the year just wait for Black Friday, it'll be worth the wait.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
When I need a particularly clean cut I put a small piece of 1/4" ply or masonite under the stock.  It behaves as a zero clearance insert.  If you put in zero clearance inserts you have to remove it before making any angle cuts, so I don't bother.  

I have a radial arm saw so the sliding chop saw offers no advantage to me.  I prefer the simpler (and more solid) non-slider.
(10-18-2017, 04:52 PM)dg152 Wrote: A couple of years ago I replaced my DeWalt 10' fixed with a 12" slider.  Home Depot had them on sale for $399.  A chop saw is one of those tools you never knew you needed.  As you've no likely discovered they are versatile.  The 12" slider gives you additional capacity.  My DeWalt is solidly built and well designed.  Definitely one of the models you want to consider.  Watch Home Depot especially around Christmas time.  I noticed that last year they had my same model on sale for $299 - which is in your price range.

Best

Agree.

I think I bought my 12" DeWalt double bevel non-slider miter saw about 8 years ago.  I believe at the time it was $400 and the slider was $600.  Now I notice you can buy a 12" slider for what I bought my non-slider for.  

I was intending to do a lot of trim work and thought I needed the double bevel, but I very rarely ever use it.  Got a pair of crown stops and didn't ever use the bevel.  Just cut baseboard standing up.  I wholeheartedly recommend a DeWalt 12" single bevel non-sliding miter saw.  

Having said that, I'm borrowing a 12" SCMS right now to cut some 12" soffit panels and 8" siding on a 45 degree angle.  Man that thing will reach out and cut a board.  And they're cheap right now.
(10-19-2017, 03:03 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: Agree.

I think I bought my 12" DeWalt double bevel non-slider miter saw about 8 years ago.  I believe at the time it was $400 and the slider was $600.  Now I notice you can buy a 12" slider for what I bought my non-slider for.  

I was intending to do a lot of trim work and thought I needed the double bevel, but I very rarely ever use it.  Got a pair of crown stops and didn't ever use the bevel.  Just cut baseboard standing up.  I wholeheartedly recommend a DeWalt 12" single bevel non-sliding miter saw.  

Having said that, I'm borrowing a 12" SCMS right now to cut some 12" soffit panels and 8" siding on a 45 degree angle.  Man that thing will reach out and cut a board.  And they're cheap right now.
I am installing soffit now.  I made a "shooting board" for my circular saw to cut the vinyl soffit.  I worked carefully and I am getting consistent, 90 degree cuts.  It is reasonably light and easy to carry.  It cost about $0.00 as all the pieces I needed were in my wood scrap pile.