New to me Campbell Air Compressor
Question for you men, 

I picked up a 1995 model Campbell Hausfeld "Professional" 20 gallon air compressor.  It says Made in USA all over it, it's cast iron.  I looked online and couldn't find the model, but I think these things are not made in USA any more... ?

The man I bought it from says he hasn't turned it on in 5 years or so... said, "hey if I plug this in, and it works, you want it for $20..."  I said yes, and we plugged it in and the sucker fired right up. So now I own it.

Here's my question.  I drained and replaced the oil.  Is there any other maintenance I need to do on it to put it back in service.  It seems to run well.  The regulator stops the pump at 120psi, and starts it again at around 80psi.  Anything I need to be aware of?
(10-16-2017, 10:15 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: Question for you men, 

I picked up a 1995 model Campbell Hausfeld "Professional" 20 gallon air compressor.  It says Made in USA all over it, it's cast iron.  I looked online and couldn't find the model, but I think these things are not made in USA any more... ?

The man I bought it from says he hasn't turned it on in 5 years or so... said, "hey if I plug this in, and it works, you want it for $20..."  I said yes, and we plugged it in and the sucker fired right up. So now I own it.

Here's my question.  I drained and replaced the oil.  Is there any other maintenance I need to do on it to put it back in service.  It seems to run well.  The regulator stops the pump at 120psi, and starts it again at around 80psi.  Anything I need to be aware of?

A quick search on the innerweb will confirm that you got a smoking deal on that compressor, if it continues to yield good service! Drain the water out of the tank on a regular basis and you should be good to go.

Doug
Yeah, you pretty much stole that sucker...
Yes

The only other thing I'd check is to make sure the tank drain valve isn't plugged. If he hadn't used in a long time he may not have drained it before he put it away. And if that was the case, there may have been water in the tank, which means a bit o' rust. Unless it was full of water - and rarely drained - I doubt there would be any danger of the tank springing a leak. But you'll want to drain it regularly now that it's being used again...

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
It may have a felt air filter which should be inspected and cleaned
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(10-19-2017, 08:08 AM)KyleD Wrote: It may have a felt air filter which should be inspected and cleaned

Thanks for tips.  So, currently I replaced the oil, and drained the tank.  The wing nut to drain tank was easily loosened by hand, and I inspected the bottom of the tank, and nothing looks wrong down there.

There was currently no air filter on the pump. At the top of the pump, there was a threaded hole, with a plastic bracket covering it.  I think this is where the air filter was supposed to go, but with that bracket there, a typical screw in style wouldn't fit... so I took the bracket off, and screwed in a generic CH air filter.  It fit fine, hopefully this will work.

The only thing that is not in excellent condition is the regulator/pressure switch. As seen in the picture, one of the gauges has the plastic cover broken off, but the little spring indicator still points to the correct spot it seems.  The gauge is internal to the switch/regulator, so to be replaced, I would need to replace the whole contraption I believe... If this ever goes, is there something on the market I can buy to replace this whole thing?
[Image: 00I0I_3rd7vaMbH8U_600x450.jpg]

So far so good, I'm just new to compressors, and didn't want to mess this one up. 

[Image: 00H0H_3aVbRlxMFOG_600x450.jpg]

Thanks all.
(10-18-2017, 02:14 PM)Big Dave Wrote: Yeah, you pretty much stole that sucker...
Yes

The only other thing I'd check is to make sure the tank drain valve isn't plugged. If he hadn't used in a long time he may not have drained it before he put it away. And if that was the case, there may have been water in the tank, which means a bit o' rust. Unless it was full of water - and rarely drained - I doubt there would be any danger of the tank springing a leak. But you'll want to drain it regularly now that it's being used again...

Dave

Like Dave said I would take off the whole bottom of the Petcock and run something up there to make sure it is free of debris and I would also put a 90 degree elbow with a length of pipe in it so you do not have to bend down under it to drain it.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(10-16-2017, 10:15 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: Question for you men, 

First drain the tank of air. Their is a safety valve that has a wire ring to grasp and pull. Pull the ring and the air will gush out. This is a good test of the safety valve working properly too.
Remove the petcock which I believe is a 1/4" NPT. Install a 1/4" NPT street ell using Teflon tape or pipe dope. 
Then turn on a short length of compressor hose to the street ell. Use Teflon tape or pipe dope on these connections. Install a lever type water valve on the end .I usually drain my tank weekly. You may see a lot of water thru the valve the first time . Then weekly draining should take about 1 or 2 minutes in a 20 gallon tank.

mike