Imbedded shot
(10-16-2017, 08:03 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I too have a full walnut nut that fell in the crotch and got encased as the tree grew. I sawed the nut in half.
I have that board hanging on the wall here.

That has to be cool.......I can only imagine the nut itself rotted away.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the nut embedded in the lumber, if anyone has one. Sounds pretty neat.
(10-17-2017, 05:37 AM)fredhargis Wrote: That has to be cool.......I can only imagine the nut itself rotted away.

(10-17-2017, 07:47 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the nut embedded in the lumber, if anyone has one. Sounds pretty neat.

I'll post it up when I get on my shop puter
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(10-17-2017, 07:47 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the nut embedded in the lumber, if anyone has one. Sounds pretty neat.

I'll have to see if I can get the owner of the bar to snap a few photos. With the epoxy and finish it looks really cool. I have always wished I could find another one and keep it.
(10-17-2017, 01:42 AM)Steve N Wrote: Hank? Did you run a metal detector on them? You would need to cover them with a thin slice of wood, against a test subject you can then determine if it "detects" as ferrous, or doesn't so much as non ferrous metals. Also spherical in shape, and coming in various diameters are nails, much harder, and infinitely more damaging to cutters. The items shown in Hank's pics likely are lead, due to absence of a rust ring, but that doesn't start on day one, and if closer to the bark may not be much of an indicator.

Steve, I did not try a metal detector on the rough board. I bought it from a reputable hardwood dealer, so I saw no need to do so. The pellets were, indeed, lead and very soft. They were lodged in a large damaged area in the board with bark inclusions. My guess is that the shot damaged the tree by splintering it, allowing water in and subsequently rot to develop. I was ripping the damaged area off when I ran into the shot. It has obviously been there a long while because it was deeply imbedded. The tree had encased it completely in its healing process.
Just wondered, looked rather shiny for lead, a non decomposed nail however, plus the size was so different, if the larger one was the true size it had to be 00 buck.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW

Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I've cut other stuff also, metal mainly. I've cut embedded razor blades that was in plywood.
Plywood is processed using strings laying across the veneers holding them in place, then glued and pressed. They use a utility type blade to cut the strings.
I guess they need a place to pitch their dull blades. Yep, pitch them into the sheets of veneer.
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Cool photo....I'd love to find something like that in a piece of wood.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I found a couple .22 bullets in a piece of walnut I got from Mountainwood. Didn't cause any problems, though. I even positioned it on the inside of a project to give it a little story...
Yes
Winkgrin
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."