Warranty queston
When I replaced my windows, I started asking questions here:

http://www.replacement-windows.com/windowbb/

It's kind of a weird site because there are a bunch of "vetted" contractors from all over the country that frequent it and they all seem to vouch for each other. However, after some questions like yours, I found my window company through them. Of course, my guy came highly recommended and he was one of the people who responded to my post, but he never even indicated he wanted the business. He was just there to help.

My first job was for 15 windows and a year later when I had saved up some more, the same sales guy and same crew came out to do the remaining 15 windows. Sales guy even matched his year old price.

Paul
(10-17-2017, 07:31 AM)Cooler Wrote: My experience with Lowes installers has not been good.  I suspect they check for criminal background but do little to verify their workmanship.

This was our experience, too.

We needed to replace a failing sliding glass door and went to Lowes to get a set of exterior patio doors.  I'm not speedy enough on things like door replacement, especially when the house will be open to the weather, and I would have been working alone, so we opted to have Lowes install the doors.

Frick and Frack showed up about 10 a.m., but soon ran into trouble.  If I hadn't had my woodshop out in the garage to make basic parts to fit the door correctly, they would have never finished.  They didn't have seemingly basic supplies like raw lumber or equipment to quickly size that lumber to make a good fit between the replacement door and the existing opening.  So I was out in the shop making parts for them while they stood around scratching their heads.  They didn't pull away from the house until almost 9 p.m. that evening.

After I provided feedback about the install, the helpful Lowes management showed me the fine print in the sales order that said the installers were independent contractors and any issues were with the installers, and not Lowe's.

I only go to Lowes when they're the ONLY game in town for a certain product I must have.  Installation of stuff?  No way...
Find a local vendor for Sunrise Windows.  We had all the windows and sliding glass doors replaced with Sunrise and I couldn't be happier.
chris
(10-16-2017, 06:49 PM)Scouter Wrote: We're replacing our windows, had multiple companies come in and narrowed it down to two: Loews and Pella (both are Pella windows). Aside from the price the only difference is in the installation warranty - 1 yr / 10 yrs respectively. Trying to think of things that might go wrong after year one, all I can think of is the caulking around the windows, and not sure that would be covered under either warranty.

Any thoughts?

Are they the same window?

Generally Pella reps sell the better window and Lowes sells the lower end Pella window. That may not be the case anymore but it once was. I'm assuming you're talking about wood frames and sashes vs vinyl? I just installed the Pellas sold "off the shelf" from Lowes. I certainly like them better than vinyl windows but not as much as Andersens. It was a cost consideration for me. HD doesn't stock Andersen wood anymore, just vinyls (around here anyway). I needed a wide window (three double hungs mulled together) and I could do that at about half the price with Pella over Andersen because they have a clever $15.00 mull kit that made them cheaper than having custom vinyls made.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay