Good screwdrivers?
I didn't find this topic in my searches so I'm not sure if it's been covered. What cabinet maker's screwdrivers do you recommend? Someone gave me a set of the Lee Valley parallel tips, which were briefly nice until the end snapped off of the one I used the most. (As an aside, I was driving a waxed brass screw into a correctly sized pilot hole when it went bang. Lee Valley informed my I could get a replacement but I'd have to buy it. I was surprised by that.) I don't like using my Craftsman screwdrivers when it matters -- a set of parallel tip drivers would be useful.

Grace? Other makers? Vintage?

Thanks!
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(10-16-2017, 11:29 PM)Aram Wrote: I didn't find this topic in my searches so I'm not sure if it's been covered. What cabinet maker's screwdrivers do you recommend? Someone gave me a set of the Lee Valley parallel tips, which were briefly nice until the end snapped off of the one I used the most. (As an aside, I was driving a waxed brass screw into a correctly sized pilot hole when it went bang. Lee Valley informed my I could get a replacement but I'd have to buy it. I was surprised by that.) I don't like using my Craftsman screwdrivers when it matters -- a set of parallel tip drivers would be useful.

Grace? Other makers? Vintage?

Thanks!
When working on things I care about, I use gunsmith screwdrivers...mine are made by Chapman and sold by Brownells...they are hollow ground...and don't slip easily. If I have to renew the tip on ordinary screwdrivers, I always hollow grind them..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(10-17-2017, 08:07 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ............
When working on things I care about, I use gunsmith screwdrivers...mine are made by Chapman and sold by Brownells...they are hollow ground...and don't slip easily. If I have to renew the tip on ordinary screwdrivers, I always hollow grind them..

I forgot about those! Thank you.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

(10-17-2017, 08:14 AM)Aram Wrote: I forgot about those! Thank you.

I have several of the Grace straight tips.  Very nice.

And one can pick up "vitange" Stanleys and whatnot and grind them.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(10-17-2017, 08:58 AM)Rob Young Wrote: I have several of the Grace straight tips.  Very nice.

And one can pick up "vitange" Stanleys and whatnot and grind them.
What size grinding wheel would one use?
Best,
Aram, always learning

(10-17-2017, 09:20 AM)Aram Wrote: What size grinding wheel would one use?

I have the Grace USA set.  They work great for me.
Grace Brothers are good.  I have a Chapman Master Set and it's really nice.  If you need parallel tips, then Grace and Chapman are among the best.  The best ergonomic screwdriver set I've owned is the Lee Valley Lifetime Screwdrivers.  Wera is a German brand that is top notch.  I have a set with replaceable bits that I got from Lee Valley and they are very handy.  (LV doesn't sell them anymore.)  Many of the Wera tips are laser etched which grab onto things really well when driving screws.

There's just something about a good quality screwdriver.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Then there always a set of these..

These work for me...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(10-17-2017, 09:20 AM)Aram Wrote: What size grinding wheel would one use?
A 6"/8" grinding wheel works fine..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(10-17-2017, 08:07 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ............

What Jack says! You can get an insert type screwdriver and replace bits as needed (I also have the Chapman set). I use the Chapman set for my minor gun work and use regular Grace for other chores.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com