<$100 hammer drills
I am going to be needing a hammer drill to drill 4  0.5" holes about 6" deep and a number of smaller holes for tapcons. I need to call the rental place about renting a hammer drill but I was wondering if the inexpensive ones will hold up to this kind of use? I would lean toward corded since i would rather spend the money on the working parts not on a battery.
Harbor freight, brother. Cheaper than a rental. One less trip
I've been using this 1/2" Dewalt hammer drill for about 18 years now and it would do your job with no problem. I occasionally drill 1-1/8" holes through brick and sometimes concrete. It isn't the fastest in concrete but a small 1/2" hole would be much faster.

[Image: dewalt-hammer-drills-dw511-64_1000.jpg]
(10-18-2017, 07:26 AM)daddo Wrote: I've been using this 1/2" Dewalt hammer drill for about 18 years now and it would do your job with no problem. I occasionally drill 1-1/8" holes through brick and sometimes concrete. It isn't the fastest in concrete but a small 1/2" hole would be much faster.

[Image: dewalt-hammer-drills-dw511-64_1000.jpg]

I have the same drill - and it has drilled a whole bunch more than four holes.

However, if I knew I was only going to drill four holes - and never have a need for a hammer drill again (Is that even possible - never needing a tool again?) - I would go the Harbor Freight. 

Luckily, if you get the masonry bits at the same time and the same place, they will both wear out at the same time.  Hopefully after you get four holes drilled.

Review a "Harbor Freight - gems" list before you go and pick up some of that stuff too.   Don't forget your free flashlight.  
Big Grin
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
Harbor Freight rotary hammer. Go full rotary hammer if you are drilling 1/2" holes.

I bought the HF unit years ago to drill 36 3/4" holes. That was 8 years ago and it still works. It now has a personality, but it still works.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(10-18-2017, 08:32 AM)Mr_Mike Wrote: Harbor Freight rotary hammer.  Go full rotary hammer if you are drilling 1/2" holes.  

I bought the HF unit years ago to drill 36 3/4" holes.  That was 8 years ago and it still works.  It now has a personality, but it still works.

Make sure the tapcon bits will work in the larger hammers.    A SDS MAX would be too much for the small bits plus you would need a adapter.   A SDS with adapter would work for both if you take it easy with the small bits.  A good drill type hammer drill will work ok but keep the RPM down as it will overheat the bit.    It would be slow going for the 6" deep 1/2" holes in concrete but good for the tapcons.  The SDS or the SDS MAX will drill the 1/2" 6" deep hole with no problem.  Consider renting the larger hammer drill for the 4, 1/2" holes and buy a hammer drill for the tapcons.   Roly
(10-18-2017, 06:38 AM)Bope Wrote: I am going to be needing a hammer drill to drill 4  0.5" holes about 6" deep and a number of smaller holes for tapcons. I need to call the rental place about renting a hammer drill but I was wondering if the inexpensive ones will hold up to this kind of use? I would lean toward corded since i would rather spend the money on the working parts not on a battery.

What cordless tools do you have now?  I would recommend adding a hammerdrill to your lineup, very handy to have a cordless hammerdrill.  If you don't have any, I have a Craftsman C3 hammerdrill that works very well, however, seeing how Sears probably won't be around long after this coming holiday season (my own opinion based on my own observations, I don't have any insider info.), the C3 line is made by Ryobi.  I used my C3 to run a lot of tapcons while framing the basement walls (non load bearing).  It works well for that.  

Also, just because all my cordless drills are in the House while I am refinishing the basement, I bought one of the newer HF cordless hammerdrills (the Hercules branded one) for under $120 to use out in my shop.  I have not used the hammer function, but it has a lot of drilling power and also ran quite a few screws with it when I was plumbing in my air lines.  I went straight to the hammer drill instead of buying the normal HF Herc. drill and then wishing I had gotten the HD, like I did with the Craftsman C3.  There is a cheaper Bauer brand from HF that has a hammerdrill, but the Hercules brand really does have a better "feel" than even my C3 drills (although the C3's have a better fit and finish, IMHO, despite the cheaper quality feel). 

For the larger holes, I do second getting the HF rotary hammer.  I have one that works well, although I don't use one often. 

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
(10-18-2017, 06:38 AM)Bope Wrote: I am going to be needing a hammer drill to drill 4  0.5" holes about 6" deep and a number of smaller holes for tapcons. I was wondering if the inexpensive ones will hold up to this kind of use? I would lean toward corded....

Is this for the pergola project?  It sounds like you've decided to use wedge anchors instead of regular anchor bolts?  Have you poured the foundations, yet?  If not, you can drill holes in green concrete much easier than if the concrete is cured.  Wait two or three days after you pour the foundations and then drill the holes.  A regular corded drill with a masonry bit might work and a cheap hammer drill would certainly work. Corded is better than battery. Let the concrete cure for a week or two before installing the wedge anchors.
(10-18-2017, 10:03 AM)Roly Wrote: Make sure the tapcon bits will work in the larger hammers.    A SDS MAX would be too much for the small bits plus you would need a adapter.   A SDS with adapter would work for both if you take it easy with the small bits.  A good drill type hammer drill will work ok but keep the RPM down as it will overheat the bit.    It would be slow going for the 6" deep 1/2" holes in concrete but good for the tapcons.  The SDS or the SDS MAX will drill the 1/2" 6" deep hole with no problem.  Consider renting the larger hammer drill for the 4, 1/2" holes and buy a hammer drill for the tapcons.   Roly

You can buy SDS type tapcon sized bits.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
I have a hatachi from menard’s On sale a couple years ago for about $70. Very happy with it