<$100 hammer drills
I have a Ryobi 18 volt . It has drilled a bunch of holes less than 3/8 " . I have an old corded Black and Decker for larger . The hammer on it is getting weak . That Bosch CPO deal looks good . 99 dollars ..... it will drill a bunch of holes . We use them and Hilti here at work . You ain't going to touch a Hilti for that price .

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

I have the corded purple looking HF model. Had it for at least 7 or 8 years now and it’s drilled plenty of holes, including at least 4 1/2” holes. It’s drilled plenty of 3/8” holes in poured foundation walls. I think I paid like $30 for it? Not sure but I know it was a helluva lot less than $100 and I still seem to find a use for it every 3 or 4 months or so.
-Marc

How about a used corded Milwaukee that is in good condition on ebay or Craig's list. They seem to go cheap and if they are in decent condition, will last a lifetime. I would do this over a harbor freight, but that is only an opinion. If you were closer I would let you borrow mine. I was near there this summer also.
I have a corded B&D that is probably the cheapest name brand 1/2" hammer drill you can buy.  It has lasted me a long time.  I don't use it unless I have to, there are some things it just can't do.  But I have been using it for tapcons, and recently drilled a 1/2" hole through concrete block to pull romex through.  For occasional use, it's fine
(10-19-2017, 08:32 PM)toolmiser Wrote: How about a used corded Milwaukee that is in good condition on ebay or Craig's list.  They seem to go cheap and if they are in decent condition, will last a lifetime.  I would do this over a harbor freight, but that is only an opinion.  If you were closer I would let you borrow mine.  I was near there this summer also.

If that's true, then yes, this would probably be one of the best options.  I know when I was looking for a Milwaukee corded, right angle drill I checked Ebay, local pawn shops, craigslist, etc. and all of them wanted almost as much as a new one cost.  I found the best deal on CPO Outlet for a factory recon.  When I received it, it looked like it had not been used, it was like someone opened it, then returned it seemingly unused.  I could tell the accessories and manual had been re-packaged, but the drill itself had no usage dings or scratches.  Some of the used drills that I saw at the local pawn shops looked like they had a rough life and we significantly more expensive than what I ended up paying.  I might have been able to flip it and make money.

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
(10-20-2017, 06:44 AM)pprobus Wrote: If that's true, then yes, this would probably be one of the best options.  I know when I was looking for a Milwaukee corded, right angle drill I checked Ebay, local pawn shops, craigslist, etc. and all of them wanted almost as much as a new one cost.  I found the best deal on CPO Outlet for a factory recon.  When I received it, it looked like it had not been used, it was like someone opened it, then returned it seemingly unused.  I could tell the accessories and manual had been re-packaged, but the drill itself had no usage dings or scratches.  Some of the used drills that I saw at the local pawn shops looked like they had a rough life and we significantly more expensive than what I ended up paying.  I might have been able to flip it and make money.

Paul

I decided to take your advice and got a reconditioned Milwaukee from CPO delivered for the same price as a new Dewalt.
(10-20-2017, 11:51 AM)Bope Wrote: I decided to take your advice and got a reconditioned Milwaukee from CPO delivered for the same price as a new Dewalt.

Great!  Good luck with it.  Its surprising how good of a deal you can get from them and how overpriced used tools can be.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
A few years ago I used a DW 311 DeWalt 1/2 inch VSR corded hammer drill to drive $350 worth of 5/8 inch Tapcon screws.  The drill cost $99 from a big orange box store. The screws went about two inches into my poured concrete cellar wall.   I went through a few drill bits but there were no problems at all.  Loved the drill.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
(10-18-2017, 08:32 AM)Mr_Mike Wrote:   It now has a personality, but it still works.

hahaha!  that's a great way to put it.... too funny man!

Colin
(10-18-2017, 06:38 AM)Bope Wrote: I am going to be needing a hammer drill to drill 4  0.5" holes about 6" deep and a number of smaller holes for tapcons. I need to call the rental place about renting a hammer drill but I was wondering if the inexpensive ones will hold up to this kind of use? I would lean toward corded since i would rather spend the money on the working parts not on a battery.

Sorry to say, but the cheap hammer drills are not very good and could burn up on you if what you are drilling through is hard (like poured concrete or concrete brick), and the holes deep (6").  I would suggest either renting one or buying a good one like a Bosch/DeWalt/Makita/Milwaukee.  These can get pricey - generally upwards of $100.  I would suggest you avoid cordless, if you are going to be drilling 6" deep holes in concrete - you want brute force here.

I have been using Bosch hammer drills for the last 26 years - first in Australia and then in the US.  In both cases, my drills held up extremely well, even when put to the most grueling tasks (I had to sell all my power tools when I left Australia, as they have 230 volts supply, and buy new ones here).

I would suggest avoiding the cheaper brands (especially Harbor Freight) for this job.  Harbor Freight tools are great when the load in not very heavy and when the use is infrequent.  But if you use a HF drill gun to drill four 6" holes in concrete one after the other, it will probably burn up on you.  You get what you pay for.