Track saw vs table saw
(10-20-2017, 09:51 AM)Cooler Wrote: Can a good track saw (Festo for example) replace a table saw?

Assuming you have a router and can cut dadoes and grooves with the router, can your wood working shop function with just a track saw to replace a table saw and radial arm saw.

Could you build a set of shaker cabinets using a track saw and a router and had no access to a table saw or radial arm saw?

YES you can build very nice shaker cabinets using the track saw in place of the table saw or radial arm saw.

If you don't have the space/power/inclination or other reason to go with a table saw, the track saw will indeed allow you to produce good work. 

Most people prefer the table saw over a track saw, (myself included) but lack of a table saw would NOT hinder the work you can produce. If you have the choice you will find that a nice table saw is the better choice of the two, but the lack of a table saw will not prevent you from building things, building NICE things.

If you do get a track saw you will still find it a great addition to your tool arsenal after you get a table saw so its is NOT money unwisely spent.  I suggest you look at the Makita track saw, that is the one I have and I really like it.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary and those who do not.
(10-20-2017, 09:51 AM)Cooler Wrote: Can a good track saw (Festo for example) replace a table saw?...

What kind of experienced woodworker could possibly wonder about this?

The table saw is essential and indispensable. The track saw can do things a table saw cannot. They are not mutually exclusive.
Wood is good. 
(10-23-2017, 11:25 AM)ez-duzit Wrote: What kind of experienced woodworker could possibly wonder about this?

The table saw is essential and indispensable. The track saw can do things a table saw cannot. They are not mutually exclusive.

I asked because I read that it was common in Europe to use a track saw and not have a table saw.  

I still have both cross cut and rip hand saws (and I actually use the cross cut saw occasionally).  I would not know where to get them sharpened, however.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-23-2017, 11:25 AM)ez-duzit Wrote: What kind of experienced woodworker could possibly wonder about this?

I don't have either and I make furniture. People have been working wood since literally before they were people. Table saws have been around for the last hundred of the million or so years people have been working wood. Is a table saw a useful tool? Seems like it to me. Essential? Lol.

(10-23-2017, 11:31 AM)Cooler Wrote: I asked because I read that it was common in Europe to use a track saw and not have a table saw.  

I still have both cross cut and rip hand saws (and I actually use the cross cut saw occasionally).  I would not know where to get them sharpened, however.

Learn to sharpen your own hand saws. It is super easy. Paul Sellers has made some good videos on saw sharpening. If you don't want to go that route, there are a few guys in the hand tool forum who offer hand saw sharpening services. I have sent tools off to enjuneer for repairs I couldn't do, so I would recommend him. But there are other guys, too.
If you're gonna be one, be a Big Red One.
I own a tracksaw, and don't have a table saw. Two things where track saws are limited; beveled cuts and dado/rabbets. The router takes care of the later. Bevels are limited as to angle and are tricky to align. Circular saws are designed for carpentry work so controlling depth of cut and angle of bevel are finicky to set particulary if you decide to cut grooves. What I like about the tracksaw is it portablility, generally the work is clamped by the track, and the business end is separated from my fingers. The tracks with the replaceable plastic strips assist with quality of cut by minimizing chip out on the top of the board. Another advantage is you have the ability to gang cut (not stacked) and since the work is clamped you can do some weird compound miters depending on how you place the wood UNDER the track. No jig is necessary to cut tapers. Don't get complacent, tracksaws can still get away and kickback particulary if you don't keep downward pressure and torque the cut. Basically, I use the tracksaw to break down material close to dimension, and finish with the hand plane.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.