Best Deal on 40" Bar Clamps?
Who's got the best deal on 4, 40" Bessey, Jet, Gross Stabil, etc. style bar clamps?  It seems I'm making house doors frequently, so it's time to get better outfitted.  If someone here has some they want to part with, I'm interested.  And if there is one or more brands to stay away from, please let me know.  I have Bessey's now and have no complaints.  Thanks.

John
(10-20-2017, 06:51 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Who's got the best deal on 4, 40" Bessey, Jet, Gross Stabil, etc. style bar clamps?  It seems I'm making house doors frequently, so it's time to get better outfitted.  If someone here has some they want to part with, I'm interested.  And if there is one or more brands to stay away from, please let me know.  I have Bessey's now and have no complaints.  Thanks.

John

I would call up Jeanne Perry

Our annual Tool-A-Rama Sale is back from October 18th - 21st. We've been working hard with our manufacturers (Bosch, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Hitachi, Jet and more) to further discount and slash prices on power tools, power tool accessories, hand tools and machinery on Toolsplus.com  and at our Connecticut retail store @ 153 Meadow St. Waterbury, CT. If you are shopping on-line use coupon code TOOLARAMA and if you are planning on coming to the Waterbury Store be prepared to be blown away with our scratch and dent, open box below cost prices. Also, enjoy the live tool demonstrations, Free Food, Prizes and entertainment we offer at the show.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Just saw at my local HD bessey bar clamps were on sale. $33 for 50" clamps. Or jets tend to go on sale come thanksgiving time typically
(10-20-2017, 06:51 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Who's got the best deal on 4, 40" Bessey, Jet, Gross Stabil, etc. style bar clamps?  It seems I'm making house doors frequently, so it's time to get better outfitted.  If someone here has some they want to part with, I'm interested.  And if there is one or more brands to stay away from, please let me know.  I have Bessey's now and have no complaints.  Thanks.

John

John, please define BAR CLAMPS Technically anything with a bar qualifies. I imagine you are wanting either parallel head, of F style clamps. The parallel head are what they are, now the F clamps come in a LOT of flavors while looking alike they have wildly different specs associated with them, and of course price jumps around based on what you are getting. I've recently gotten a lot of new F style Besse's that a few here poo poo'd as being junk. I'm finding them to be very serviceable, and easily able to deliver 500 to 600 pounds of pressure with my arthritic hands. For most any work I do that is sufficient. The ones they ares selling for low $$$$ are 2 to 3 footers, looking for 4 foot you may see some deflection of the bar, being thinner than a parallel head clamp, which at 40" would be tight without deflection. As with any tools, this time of year I would suggest waiting for Black Friday, Rockler, WoodCraft, and others deal heavy then.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(10-20-2017, 08:17 PM)Steve N Wrote: John, please define BAR CLAMPS Technically anything with a bar qualifies. I imagine you are wanting either parallel head, of F style clamps. The parallel head are what they are, now the F clamps come in a LOT of flavors while looking alike they have wildly different specs associated with them, and of course price jumps around based on what you are getting. I've recently gotten a lot of new F style Besse's that a few here poo poo'd as being junk. I'm finding them to be very serviceable, and easily able to deliver 500 to 600 pounds of pressure with my arthritic hands. For most any work I do that is sufficient. The ones they ares selling for low $$$$ are 2 to 3 footers, looking for 4 foot you may see some deflection of the bar, being thinner than a parallel head clamp, which at 40" would be tight without deflection. As with any tools, this time of year I would suggest waiting for Black Friday, Rockler, WoodCraft, and others deal heavy then.

To be clear, I'm talking about Bessey Revo type, parallel jaw bar clamps. 

John
(10-20-2017, 08:22 PM)jteneyck Wrote: To be clear, I'm talking about Bessey Revo type, parallel jaw bar clamps. 

John

Figured so, have you considered that amount of clamp pressure you desire? Before I said the parallel jaw clamps were what they are, but Besse has the newer Revo, and also now they have Revo Jr. Choices, always choices.

Revo Jr

Revo

If you aren't familiar with the Revo Jr, this an accurate review. I was skeptical at first, but now find myself grabbing these first

GW
The force required to clamp up a door actually isn't all that much if the joinery is good.  I'm sure the Revo JR's would be sufficient, but I'd still prefer big boy clamps.  

John
(10-21-2017, 02:22 PM)jteneyck Wrote: The force required to clamp up a door actually isn't all that much if the joinery is good.  I'm sure the Revo JR's would be sufficient, but I'd still prefer big boy clamps.  

John

Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin For the most part me too.

GW
Speaking of turning experience most people clamp wood way to tight and it is not needed and it squeezes out all the glue.  Just enough pressure to bring everything together is enough.

If you have a budget then Pipe clamps are really a good deal and work great and last a lot time and easy to clean up/
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(10-27-2017, 01:54 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Speaking of turning experience most people clamp wood way to tight and it is not needed and it squeezes out all the glue.  Just enough pressure to bring everything together is enough.

If you have a budget then Pipe clamps are really a good deal and work great and last a lot time and easy to clean up/

I'd second Arlin's point of view.  Again, if your joinery is accurate, you don't really need parallel clamps, pipe clamps will do just fine.  HF is not bad a lot of bank for the buck. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarte...94053.html
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis