Powermatic planer 15" 250v 30a setup
(10-22-2017, 11:41 AM)TDKPE Wrote: The specs say it has a 21A FLC motor, which sounds like it's Asia-sourced.  High for a 3 hp, like many Grizzly machines are.  My 3 hp Unisaw has a 12.4A Marathon motor, which is low but real.

Either way, if it starts and runs ok on a 20A circuit, use it.  If you would rather use the existing 30A dryer circuit, know that if it's 3-wire with no ground, the white is functionally the same as the equipment ground, assuming it lands on the same bus in the main panel.  It's just overkill, as it would be insulated, and the receptacle lug it's landed on is designed to carry current continuously, while a ground connection does not except in a ground-fault situation (potentially thousands of amps for a cycle or so).  And it's the wrong color.  

You could also change out the receptacle for a NEMA 6-30, which is a proper 30A, 250V, 2-pole, 3-wire, grounded receptacle.  That doesn't make the white equipment grounding conductor code compliant, but it's what you have.

I'm a little curious about others' PM planers that run on 20A circuits.  Especially if they have the same motor.  21A rating is obviously more than should be on a 20A circuit (16A max on a motor circuit, generally speaking), and a lot of motor to start, with a high-speed belt-connected load yet.

I would have to open up my planer to look at the name plate to see the FLA .  I do know however that the planer starter system has a variable amperage draw adjustment and mine is set @ 16A Been like this since the first one in the shop I managed  in 1994 without an issue ever, and since then in my own shop since 2003 We routinely ran 10K BF in a quarter or more  and since on my own I  do put the BF to mine regularly. Also my planer has a helical head so even that has not affected it
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(10-22-2017, 06:51 PM)JGrout Wrote: I would have to open up my planer to look at the name plate to see the FLA .  I do know however that the planer starter system has a variable amperage draw adjustment and mine is set @ 16A Been like this since the first one in the shop I managed  in 1994 without an issue ever, and since then in my own shop since 2003 We routinely ran 10K BF in a quarter or more  and since on my own I  do put the BF to mine regularly. Also my planer has a helical head so even that has not affected it

Thanks for the info.  I suspect earlier units used the ubiquitous Baldor L3606, which had a FLA somewhere around 14.5-15.5A.  The EL3606 had a higher efficiency and therefore lower FLA.  That was one of the selling points of PM (among many) - they used Baldor motors.  Don't know what they're using now, but with that high FLA figure, it sounds like its's Asia sourced.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(10-22-2017, 08:21 PM)TDKPE Wrote: Thanks for the info.  I suspect earlier units used the ubiquitous Baldor L3606, which had a FLA somewhere around 14.5-15.5A.  The EL3606 had a higher efficiency and therefore lower FLA.  That was one of the selling points of PM (among many) - they used Baldor motors.  Don't know what they're using now, but with that high FLA figure, it sounds like its's Asia sourced.

I know my present PM is from Taiwan, I will just have to open it up and look at the plate 

I still contend that something is not right for it to just pop a breaker as soon as it is powered something is not right for that to happen It may be the motor but it would not be the first place I would be looking
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Is there a chance something else is on the circuit?
Thanks guys for the help.

Here is the latest.  I took another look at my breaker box and discovered a breaker that was 30a for my compressor.  The outlet for the compressor is set up on an outlet that has the same plug style as the 220v 20A.  So it was as simple as unplugging the compressor and plugging in the planer to that outlet.  That's the good news.  The bad news is when the planer starts up it makes a bit of a clunking noise on the start.  After it starts to run everything sounds fine and smooth.  

I have an electrical engineer friend that is coming by tonight to check it out to see if this noise is out of the ordinary for this motor.

Thanks again of the help.  Ill let you all know of the prognosis...I can tell every one will be waiting with baited breath for the outcome of this cliffhanger .
JB

"Give me an army of West Point graduates, I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war!"
--Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

[quote pid='7541637' dateline='1508777364']
You say a PM 15" planer. Is it the PM 15" thickness planer with the 3hp motor (15A) or the PM15 Planer/molder that has a 5HP motor.

The 3 hp motor should run fine on the 20A but may have issues during the startup.

The 5 hp motor will most likely have to be on a 30A circuit breaker.

Circuit breakers in commercial panels can handle the larger starting current of motor loads than circuit breakers in residential load centers. If it is an existing breaker that is really old you may still want to replace it even if it is a 3 hp motor on the 20amp circuit breaker.

Overcurrent protection sizing can be set a lot higher for dedicated circuits serving motors due to nuisance tripping on startup, which is why Powermatic typically recommends a higher breaker size.

[/quote]
I use one of those planers often it realy ratlles on startup
It just starts so abruptly that it really makes a bang been that way since new
My 20” PM does that too, starts up with a bang and full speed right away. Been that way since I bought it new 10 years ago. Still works, just wish it spool up a gradually.
Doesn’t help the o.p., but mine had to be plugged into a 30amp circuit since it uses a 5hp motor.
VH07V  
Start up on mine rattles the sheet metal motor cover.....never really noticed it as the dc is started first.

Ed
Photo 
nameplate on my planer 

[Image: 20171023_174828_zpsd9aznqhk.jpg]