Filing a Lie Nielsen plane
(10-25-2017, 10:47 AM)Scoony Wrote: Looking at the second picture, seems to be a gap between the blade and the ramp. Is the ramp warped, or the blade set in there bevel down, or is there debris between the blade and ramp, or is the blade not tightened down?

You have eagle eyes. There were shavings trapped between the blade and the sole when I picked up the plane to use it. Apparently my test drive was very quick and I did not inspect the aftermath.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
With all due respect, for what a L-N tool costs, I would have returned it to them and asked them to rectify the issue....
chris
Well done, as always....

-- mos maiorum
(10-25-2017, 06:51 PM)doobes Wrote: With all due respect, for what a L-N tool costs, I would have returned it to them and asked them to rectify the issue....

I'm sure LN would resolve any issue with a smile, but if you have the skills, as does Jim, its sometimes easier to fettle yourself.  I have done the same with mine.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-25-2017, 06:51 PM)doobes Wrote: With all due respect, for what a L-N tool costs, I would have returned it to them and asked them to rectify the issue....

That is certainly an option because LN offers excellent post sale support. But this was a pretty easy task. It was the idea of taking a file to a LN plane that caused alarm because taking a file to a LN or LV plane is almost unheard of. Kinda like, "Hey, hand me that rattle can. I need to touch up the Ferrari."
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
In thirty years people are going to be saying, "It is just an old vintage Lie-Nielsen so took a file to the mouth without much worry..."
Why not start today.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
(10-27-2017, 09:10 AM)Axehandle Wrote: In thirty years people are going to be saying, "It is just an old vintage Lie-Nielsen so took a file to the mouth without much worry..."
Why not start today.

Yep! They're tools, you do what you need to do to make them work.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(10-27-2017, 03:03 PM)Tony Z Wrote: Yep!  They're tools, you do what you need to do to make them work.

Perfection is indeed relative, but I must say that I've never had to fettle a Veritas plane, and then, only once for a LN plane.  I can only imagine what I might have to do to a "new" Stanley Sweetheart, presuming I would buy one.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-27-2017, 03:35 PM)Admiral Wrote: Perfection is indeed relative, but I must say that I've never had to fettle a Veritas plane, and then, only once for a LN plane.  I can only imagine what I might have to do to a "new" Stanley Sweetheart, presuming I would buy one.

Well I have some experience with their new product. Well, new in the 90s. One of my first purchased new planes was a Stanley #93 that I bought sometimes late in the last century. I spent over an hour with fine grit AO sandpaper taking off burrs and getting the high spots out of the bottom. It turned out to be a nice plane but I was unhappy with the out of the box experience. I cannot imagine that Stanley quality has picked up in the last decade or so. They make good tools at a good price point but the user better be willing to put in some sweat. And don't get me started on those #60 butt joint chisels. The lacquer that protects them from rust also prevents their use. There are a few hours I will never get back.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com