QSWO fireplace mantel surround. Some Q's
(10-22-2017, 04:35 PM)Malix Wrote: I'm in the process of building this.

[Image: stda8Sb.jpg]

With changes to the original design in sketch up the model has gotten screwy but you get the over all idea.

Building in QSWO with plywood carcase and shelves. Wipe on varnish finish to exterior with milk paint and BLO waxed interior.  I'll finish up some leaded glass panels later on. Have completed the cabinet up to this point.

[Image: sY66gEx.jpg]
[Image: jrpIgBR.jpg]

At this point I am starting to plan and build the columns and had some questions regarding my build  I'm hoping you all might help with. Prompted by this image off the web.

[Image: yW41bGs.jpg]

I don't see any nail holes here...

Question 1. How?

for the columns I need to build next. I am considering some QSWO ply for the basic structure and adding the thinner oak stiles and rails for the faux frame and panel look.  I'd prefer not to nail it all together due wanting to minimize filled holes.  But maybe I am making this harder than necessary.  How do you build this all up without nail holes everywhere ( like in there photo above) . (Tho I do realize some pins an brads are inevitable just trying to minimize)  and to be fair I have learned from a video by William NG, how to use oil paints and crawfords linseed oil based white putty and mix up  my  own incredibly accurate colored fillers. I dare say I  can get my filler spot on matched or as close as you can get.

The span of the topmost section of mantel is about 11 feet long.  Cant get ply that long.  So solid wood is likely.  But heat  from fireplace concerns me with respect to how to build this up using long solid wood parts. the mantel cap/ top will be screwed directly to the bricks with holes plugged with oak and won't show much cuz it won't really be visible from above..  But other horizontal sections will either be screwed directly to brick or framing i've screwed in place to support the other built up parts. and covered with built up moldings where needed.

Bottom line am I just not seeing the nail holes in this picture above but they are in fact there?  should I not be caring about nail holes here considering the temp changes this thing will see and just plan on using as many screws and nails as needed to keep it together.?

Thx.

Glue the column pieces first, nail from the back if you need to ,before installing the columns.
You can use French cleats to install the columns and mantel. 

mike
Update:

Just wanted to update this thread with some progress  pics.. .. I just finished putting the last coat of wiping varnish on this.  I will next be mixing up custom colored putty to fill small holes and gaps in the project and then wiping the putty down with some varnish before finishing up making the leaded glass panels for the cabinet doors.  My wife was constantly asking me when the varnish was dry enough to put decorations up do you will see most of the pics are all Christmas'ed ( is that a word?
Smile up.

Definitely were some challenges in making this. And there are certainly some pin holes,  limited number of brad holes,  and even  few plugged screw holes in unobtrusive areas where another form of fastening was unavoidable.  Next project will be nice as I will pick something with workpieces much shorter than the 10 ft lengths on some of the  boards for this mantel.  The uneven, non-plumb, non-level surface of the brick also was darn frustrating at times but I think it looks pretty good and the flaws on this are acceptable to me when considering the surface it is built around.  

thx for looking

And thanks for the comments re: my original post. 

P.S. One of the last posters asked what style the photo I used in my example was. I would assume  its mission or arts and crafts inspired..YMMV

[Image: TaU6dD9l.jpg][Image: OMdrR8Ll.jpg][Image: RI3PuTal.jpg][Image: Cno4Bjol.jpg][Image: iaz3H0ll.jpg]
Beautiful wood, beautiful workmanship.  I'd say it was worth all the frustration along the way.

John
I'd say that worked out well.  
Yes
Great job.  You really "nailed it"!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood