Introduction Redux
Happy to see Glenn broke the “introduction” ice…I was in the same quandary, unable to find out where to post the usual “Hi, I’m a newbie” message. Thanks for that, Glenn.

I was very pleased to see all the great welcome messages and offers of assistance and guidance. I spent some time lurking around here before registering. Folks seem pretty nice, so I joined up.

I’ve got no formal training and picked up woodworking when I semi-retired about 5 years ago. Over the years, I’ve acquired a bunch of stuff (mostly Craigslist…I did buy  a new Laguna 1412…I try to use rough cut lumber I find around farms and old buildings and enjoy the preparation process; got a nice Jet 6” jointer at a Re-Store for $200 that I refurbished…turned out well…despite it being 2” too narrow. Oh, I did get a Dewalt 735 new).

Anyway, I’ve managed to use the internet, magazines, and a LOT of “off cuts” to hone my unremarkable skills. Built a coffee table, end table, bed, vanity, jewelry box, lots of jigs, and lots of shop stuff. I’m somewhere, skill-wise, between framing and piano making. I’d say I’m a LOT closer to the framing end of that spectrum. Folks are always asking me what I’m making and I tell them, right up to the end, “Could be nice buffet…could be kindling. We’ll see how it goes.” I’m fortunate to have a really big fire pit on my property to cover my tracks…

I’m in central Virginia and I’ve been lucky to find some nice, old planes and tools in all the antique shops and estate sales. I’m not terribly good with them, but I can use the planes to achieve some semblance of “flat.” I really enjoy watching those whisper thin curlies coming out of the throat and the tactile feel of the process. But, I’m by no means a hand tool guy.

Well, this went on a lot longer than any of us had hoped. Just wanted to say “Hi, I’m a newbie” and thank everyone in advance for welcoming me to the fold.
Welcome to the forum, do let us know of your projects, lots of knowledge around here.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-22-2017, 06:46 PM)TadMcD Wrote:  “Could be nice buffet…could be kindling. We’ll see how it goes.”

You definitely are a woodworker. :-)  I have butchered a lot of wood over the years.

Welcome to the forum.  Like you stated, we are a nice friendly bunch of men and women and there is often help from the experts.  The folks a couple of floors down (the hand tools forum) kindly help me spend a 'C' note today.  We help with woodworking and help you spend money.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Tad
Im in Centra Va too.
Also retired.
Send me a pm if you are interested... we can meet somewhere for coffee.. lol.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Two new guys in the same day makes it a great day!

Welcome aboard Tad, I hope you enjoy the stay.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Welcome. 

You can learn a lot here just by reading what problems others have and the solutions offered.  There is every level of wood hack here, from absolute newbies to folks who make their living working wood, people who make simple stuff (with no offense intended), to people who make incredible period reproduction furniture, turners, furniture makes, hand tool enthusiasts, CNC folks, just an incredible mix of people all sharing their expertise.  You've come to a good place.  Beware, however, it is a very slippery slope.  You can easily spend your time here learning and helping people instead of being in the shop actually doing something. 

John
What John said! This place is a wealth of talent and people are incredibly generous with their knowledge. I've learned a lot here. You've happened upon a good place. Welcome and enjoy the ride.