Antique Tools are Cheap
I'm sitting here watching Antiques Roadshow with appraisers telling people how much their antiques are worth. One thing that strikes me is that some old items from the 1800's can bring thousands of dollars while I have some 18th century molding planes that I can't sell for $50.00.  Apparently no one cares about old tools. 
Laugh
Just wait til they get yours. $500 each. 

Years ago I got the distinct impression that show was a sham. Of course, I could never get into game shows, either. A weekend get away to Reno ... worth 10 Grand!!!! ...  ....  In your dreams.
(10-23-2017, 07:50 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Just wait til they get yours. $500 each. 

Years ago I got the distinct impression that show was a sham. Of course, I could never get into game shows, either. A weekend get away to Reno ... worth 10 Grand!!!! ...  ....  In your dreams.

Reminds me of an American Pickers episode where they bought a tool box full of small tools and parts for $400. The box was worth about $75.00, the tools inside were worth about $1.00 each. No way could they make money on it.
there have been molding planes that went for a lot.  Every once in a while there seems to be a bubble in plane prices.  Who knows, it might take hold.  Not that many good planes being made nowadays, at least in contrast to the heyday of hand tools.
(10-23-2017, 08:23 PM)EricU Wrote: there have been molding planes that went for a lot.  Every once in a while there seems to be a bubble in plane prices.  Who knows, it might take hold.  Not that many good planes being made nowadays, at least in contrast to the heyday of hand tools.

True, Chelor and Nicholson bring big bucks.
(10-23-2017, 08:23 PM)EricU Wrote: there have been molding planes that went for a lot.  Every once in a while there seems to be a bubble in plane prices.  Who knows, it might take hold.  Not that many good planes being made nowadays, at least in contrast to the heyday of hand tools.
Old tools are only expensive because of their rarity..and even that is subject to their condition. Check out some of Martin Donnelly's auctions...one of my flea market finds back in '95 sold at Donnelley's online auction for $26,500....Unfortunately {for me} it had passed through at least three hands before it went to that auction. And it was not the most expensive sale of the evening.
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Supply and demand. The high value rare tools are for collectors. There are lots of collectors and not many collector quality tools. User tools are very common but users of tools are becoming uncommon.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(10-23-2017, 09:58 PM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: Supply and demand. The high value rare tools are for collectors. There are lots of collectors and not many collector quality tools. User tools are very common but users of tools are becoming uncommon.

"User tools are very common but users of tools are becoming uncommon"

There is a good by-line for someone so inclined. Compliments of JimReed@Tallahassee
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(10-23-2017, 09:58 PM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: Supply and demand. The high value rare tools are for collectors. There are lots of collectors and not many collector quality tools. User tools are very common but users of tools are becoming uncommon.

Rarity is one thing, that's for the collectors.  They likely have their early 19th century molding planes already; but apart from rarity, the issue of value  for vintage tools is always a function of condition, completeness (old parts don't grow on trees) and continued utility, at least for me.  For example, I've never had the desire for a Stanley 57, 193, 340 or 378, but some collectors most certainly would.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-23-2017, 09:58 PM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: Supply and demand.SNIP>>> User tools are very common but users of tools are becoming uncommon.

Besides Kyle's "byline" .... Put yourself up for auction. You're worth a lot now, Jim.
Winkgrin