An Exterior Door with Lites
(10-24-2017, 12:11 PM)JGrout Wrote: Few houses have that amount of cover over the front door 

IOW you are lucky, I wish every door I ever made had that sort of cover; I expect even in the super high end homes I have done doors for maybe 1 in 20 was designed with even half that amount of cover, in fact I can only recall 12~ that come close to your overhang.

The area I live in many of the homes were sold as "shells" with the new home owner doing all the interior work.  So the quality of the homes vary quite a bit. 

My home was the original builder's home.  He used 3 x 8s where 2 x 8s were required (good).  He also used "hardened concrete" for the  basement and garage floors.  I don't know what it really is but it burns up carbide bits and the 22's barely penetrate (a pain).  And worst of all he used metal lathe and plaster for all the walls.  The metal lathe kills Wifi.  And try using a stud finder with it in place.

Also the eaves (which I am applying vinyl soffits to) are 30" deep.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(10-24-2017, 02:06 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: You mentioned in your post so you know, but the fact that you can make this door w/ only a 6" jointer is really kind of impressive.

Not really, I did it for 10+ years in a production shop, taught several others how to do it as well. 

We in fact made it a point to get the new hires on that 6" General jointer ASAP just so they would learn how to flatten and straighten an 8' long 2x  door stiles
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Nice project. I'm following this thread.
(10-24-2017, 02:06 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: You mentioned in your post so you know, but the fact that you can make this door w/ only a 6" jointer is really kind of impressive.

I'm definitely subscribing to this thread.

It helps to have larger equipment but you are right, you can make a door with a 6" jointer, a lunch bucket planer, a TS, router, and not a lot more and actually even less because they made doors long ago with no power equipment at all.  If you've ever seen some of those massive doors on the cathedrals in Europe you have to be in awe of what those folks were capable of. 

I hope this thread helps show people that making a house door is well within the capability of many of our members.  The most difficult aspect is handling some of the larger parts and then the completed door, not the construction itself.  

John
(10-24-2017, 07:02 PM)JGrout Wrote: Not really, I did it for 10+ years in a production shop, taught several others how to do it as well. 

We in fact made it a point to get the new hires on that 6" General jointer ASAP just so they would learn how to flatten and straighten an 8' long 2x  door stiles

Yeah, I've seem you say as much previously, maybe this thread with the pics just put it all together for me with a bow.
Nice looking project.  I have always thought about building a door but I have never taken the plunge.
(10-25-2017, 05:37 PM)iublue Wrote: Nice looking project.  I have always thought about building a door but I have never taken the plunge.

John, Thanks for sharing this project with us. I always enjoy your posts and the knowledge you have to share.
I especially have learned many things from your posts in the finishing forum.
Thanks again
Gordon
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020