Finish on an MDF workbench
Question 
I just finished this workbench and want to put some sort of a finish on it.  Mostly for the drawer fronts and doors, but probably on the top as well to keep glue from sticking.  I've never done anything to MDF before except paint it, and I don't feel like painting this, so can anyone point me in the right direction?  I was thinking of just rolling some poly onto it, but before I do I thought I'd ask and see if someone had a preference for any particular type of clearcoat on MDF for any reason.  

I finished mine with outdoor poly. It's held up very well over the past 5 years.
Don
I used Watco Danish Oil on my Masonite workbench top. It was the recommendation from the plan as it helps keep stuff from sticking, it won't peel, and it's easy to recoat or touch up.
Phydeaux
I used shellac on a similar item.  Loved the finish.
Danish oil or an oil based poly, whatever you have leftover. Use a rag or paper towel, flood and wipe off the excess. Whenever you have leftover finish just use it up on the benchtop. A little wax before large glue ups makes cleanup easy.
RD
------------------------------------------------------------------
"Boy could I have used those pocket screws!" ---Duncan Phyfe
(10-25-2017, 10:08 AM)DFJarvie Wrote: I finished mine with outdoor poly. It's held up very well over the past 5 years.

Will agree. 

But afterwards lots of frequent furniture paste wax applications.

Yes
A laid back southeast Florida beach bum and volunteer bikini assessor.

Wink
If you plan to use this bench hard I would consider topping it with double tempered Masonite.  I have a sheet tacked on to  my workbench.  I put Danish oil on it to keep glue from sticking.  When it gets all nasty from hard use/abuse, I flip it over for a fresh new side.  Every few years I replace it.

John
That’s exactly what I have for a top - 2 layers of MDF and then the masonite. I’m sure I read about doing that here some time ago and it always seemed like a good idea.

I think I’m going to use danish oil for the top surface, and I’m still weighing options for the doors and drawers. Thanks everyone for the input.
I just used a couple coats of Johnson's paste wax.  Nothing underneath.
(10-24-2017, 09:58 PM)Jlivingstone Wrote: I just finished this workbench and want to put some sort of a finish on it.  Mostly for the drawer fronts and doors, but probably on the top as well to keep glue from sticking.  I've never done anything to MDF before except paint it, and I don't feel like painting this, so can anyone point me in the right direction?  I was thinking of just rolling some poly onto it, but before I do I thought I'd ask and see if someone had a preference for any particular type of clearcoat on MDF for any reason.  

I did a wipe on mix of MS, and Poly several years ago (guessing 35 or so years) and I still see that old bench frequently, and it still won't let glue stick to it, just wipes off. I laid on about 3 or 4 coats when I did it, they dry pretty quick, so in a warm place you can easily finish in a day, now if it's cold, you may need to add heat (usually over 65*) to get it to cure well. I just went 50/50, and it wiped on easy, and healed up very durable.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW