Cutting Aluminum on Delta Wood Bandsaw
So, I need to cut a piece of aluminum, a block actually that is something like 4 inches high and 2 inches thick, and I'm wondering if there is anyway to safely use my Delta 14 inch wood bandsaw.  I realize the blade goes way too fast, and I don't think there is any easy way to slow it down.  But I hate to buy a metal cutting saw because I don't do this often.....any ideas?  (before anyone says it...yes, I do have a hacksaw
Winkgrin ...)  Is  there a blade that would work--if so, which one?
Thanks for all help-
Israel
Do it, was always our Technical reply to someone wanting to cut aluminum on a wood saw.

Aluminum can be safely cut on a wood-cutting bandsaw. A block like you want to do would require a very slow feed rate AND some sort of lube. I'd probably use a very light oil, maybe 3n1...and it may get a little warm...
One day, Chuck Norris ordered two pizzas to go.  They went.
You can do it.....  It will make a mess with the lube and all.  You will get Aluminum embedded in the tires.  I would try to work it out on the table saw before I tried it on a band saw.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
I have cut large blocks of aluminum on my 20" Agazzani with its 3/4" carbide blade. Comes out looking like it had been machined.
Wood is good. 
(10-24-2017, 10:13 PM)Israel Wrote: So, I need to cut a piece of aluminum, a block actually that is something like 4 inches high and 2 inches thick, and I'm wondering if there is anyway to safely use my Delta 14 inch wood bandsaw.  I realize the blade goes way too fast, and I don't think there is any easy way to slow it down.  But I hate to buy a metal cutting saw because I don't do this often.....any ideas?  (before anyone says it...yes, I do have a hacksaw
Winkgrin ...)  Is  there a blade that would work--if so, which one?
Thanks for all help-
Israel

You can cut aluminum with practically any blade. I generally use a blade with 10 or more teeth. Be aware that the work will get very hot. Aluminum transfers heat easily. See if you can make a carrier from scrap wood that you can push thru the blade, will save your finger tips. You may have to retract the work and dunk it in a vessel of water from time to time. I cut aluminum often and when possible use a hand screw to hold the work.
You do not need to lube the blade. Vacuum any saw dust from the lower wheel and cover before you start.
mike
(10-25-2017, 03:48 AM)Delta007 Wrote: "AND some sort of lube. I'd probably use a very light oil, maybe 3n1."

NO, I wouldn't- sorry fellas, had a senior moment...do NOT oil the blade on a 14 Delta bandsaw...the blade will start popping off the wheels...

Sorry...
One day, Chuck Norris ordered two pizzas to go.  They went.
(10-25-2017, 08:33 PM)Delta007 Wrote: NO, I wouldn't- sorry fellas, had a senior moment...do NOT oil the blade on a 14 Delta bandsaw...the blade will start popping off the wheels...

Sorry...

Use a "wax stick" type lubricant. If the aluminum is rolled (ie 6061) should work with a carbon steel blade. If its cast (ie Mic 6) you may need a bimetal blade.
We did this all the time in our pattern shop on a 20" Delta wood saw. You will need to clean your tires after and the blade should be kept just for aluminum.
How about calling any local machine shops or metal fabricators if they would do it? Or, asking them if they know anyone doing small side jobs?

If there is a local machine shop supply house, ask them?
Looks like this just after a quick cut or two.

It can be done bit I wouldn't do it, as shown it makes a mess and ruins the tires. I would cut it on my TS with a ferrous metals blade. I have cut several aluminum pieces on my TS without any problems with this blade.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-10-in.../302206439
Earl