Short Nails for Brad Nailer
I recently acquired a DeWalt model D51236 pneumatic brad nail gun. Model information indicates that it will fire nails from 5/8" to 1 1/4". This gun is a little older and, at the time it was made, I don't know if 1/2" nails were even available. Does anyone know if this gun will fire 1/2" nails OK. I can buy some and try them, but I'm wondering if anyone can save me from possibly damaging the gun.
Smile
(10-26-2017, 01:51 PM)Willyou Wrote: I recently acquired a DeWalt model D51236 pneumatic brad nail gun. Model information indicates that it will fire nails from 5/8" to 1 1/4". This gun is a little older and, at the time it was made, I don't know if 1/2" nails were even available. Does anyone know if this gun will fire 1/2" nails OK. I can buy some and try them, but I'm wondering if anyone can save me from possibly damaging the gun.
Smile

As long as you run them in the 5/8"  rail slot on the magazine you will be fine.

So take care to load the nails properly and they will shoot 

Otherwise the magazine will jamb
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Not sure if it matters, but this model only has one slot for all lengths.
Thanks
(10-26-2017, 05:19 PM)Willyou Wrote: Not sure if it matters, but this model only has one slot for all lengths.
Thanks

Some nailers have an insert for the short nails it will fire, so they stay aligned.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
(10-26-2017, 05:19 PM)Willyou Wrote: Not sure if it matters, but this model only has one slot for all lengths.
Thanks

Make sure you lay the pins in at the front edge of the gun, like shown here.

[Image: 814JVHo2xoL._SL1500_.jpg]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Steve,
Sorry. I'm not sure what point you are making. How else would you put them in and how does this relate to using 1/2" nails in this gun?
(10-27-2017, 09:24 AM)Willyou Wrote: Steve,
Sorry. I'm not sure what point you are making. How else would you put them in and how does this relate to using 1/2" nails in this gun?

could you attach a picture of the magazine of your gun with the slide open?
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Yes, but the magazine looks identical to the Wen that Steve N posted. Maybe Wen and DeWalt are made by the same manufacturer.
(10-27-2017, 01:46 PM)Willyou Wrote: Yes, but the magazine looks identical to the Wen that Steve N posted. Maybe Wen and DeWalt are made by the same manufacturer.

OK your comment that only one rail existed threw me. I had never seen one that had onlyone slot in the rail. 

if you look closely you will see many "grooves" to load the nails onto the lowest one is likely the 5/8" rail ( guide) just load the nails so it fits there The 1/8" will not affect the ability to shoot the shorter brad you want to try as long as the heads are in that particular rail slot  don't load them any higher (or lower) than that slot , that is when you you start having issues 

Joe

I understand that the grooves are spaced so that the nail heads of any given size ride in the grooves while the nail body rides on the ridges. Since the bottom groove is spaced for a 5/8" nail head, placing a 1/2" nail with the head in the same groove will result in the points not going all the way down into the bottom of the slot as the other nails do. I assume from your last comment that this is OK.
Thanks