Short Nails for Brad Nailer
Placing them point first into the leading edge of the gun will allow them to shoot. Placing them back from the edge and you will get hang ups. Both Joe and I are saying the same thing, I didn't want to include the grooves, because you are getting hung up on semantics. The grooves are there for any name brands supplied fasteners. Sometimes you will not find that brand anywhere you look, but using an off brand, and yes sometimes that is a different length, will shoot. Provided you don't set them far back where they have to pass those grooves, get deflected, and then get hung up. This has been a truth since nail guns were first available, and hasn't changed. Load them tight to the front, no matter what length, what brand. That is what I was showing you in the pic.

If you don't want to fine, keep looking for your 5/8" nails, but you can shoot the 1/2" ones. As with any nailer make sure you keep it oiled.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(10-27-2017, 05:21 PM)Steve N Wrote: Placing them point first into the leading edge of the gun will allow them to shoot. Placing them back from the edge and you will get hang ups. Both Joe and I are saying the same thing, I didn't want to include the grooves, because you are getting hung up on semantics. The grooves are there for any name brands supplied fasteners. Sometimes you will not find that brand anywhere you look, but using an off brand, and yes sometimes that is a different length, will shoot. Provided you don't set them far back where they have to pass those grooves, get deflected, and then get hung up. This has been a truth since nail guns were first available, and hasn't changed. Load them tight to the front, no matter what length, what brand. That is what I was showing you in the pic.

If you don't want to fine, keep looking for your 5/8" nails, but you can shoot the 1/2" ones. As with any nailer make sure you keep it oiled.
 In order to better understand your comment, I need to know what you are referring to as:
"leading edge"
"front"
"back"
And, what do you mean by "Provided you don't set them far back where they have to pass those grooves, get deflected, and then get hung up"
(10-27-2017, 09:16 PM)Willyou Wrote:  In order to better understand your comment, I need to know what you are referring to as:
"leading edge"
"front"
"back"
And, what do you mean by "Provided you don't set them far back where they have to pass those grooves, get deflected, and then get hung up"

The next nail to shoot is the "leading edge" of the strip of nails or the front of the magazine, or it can be the part of the follower (the thing that pushes the strip of nails) that touches the next nail to shoot
The next nail to shoot is the "front" of the strip of nails or of the magazine (magazine is where the nails go)
Where the next nail to shoot comes out of the gun is where the point of the next nail to shoot needs to be.  The less distance the next nail to shoot has to travel in the magazine minimizes the chance of "hanging up".  Therefore, put the strip of nails in the very bottom of the magazine, straight, against the front of the magazine and lined up with the followers leading edge, and shoot them.
Or, go buy 5/8" nails.  The same procedures apply.
(10-28-2017, 07:13 AM)RPE1 Wrote: The next nail to shoot is the "leading edge" of the strip of nails or the front of the magazine, or it can be the part of the follower (the thing that pushes the strip of nails) that touches the next nail to shoot
The next nail to shoot is the "front" of the strip of nails or of the magazine (magazine is where the nails go)
Where the next nail to shoot comes out of the gun is where the point of the next nail to shoot needs to be.  The less distance the next nail to shoot has to travel in the magazine minimizes the chance of "hanging up".  Therefore, put the strip of nails in the very bottom of the magazine, straight, against the front of the magazine and lined up with the followers leading edge, and shoot them.
Or, go buy 5/8" nails.  The same procedures apply.

I understand your terminology. Your statement about putting the strip of nails in the very bottom (not wrong) is what I was talking about in my comment #20. This gun is made to shoot minimum 5/8" nails. As such, the ridges and grooves that support the nail strip as you lay them into the magazine are spaced accordingly. The ridges support the nail shank and the grooves allow for the wider heads. And, all are spaced so that the nail points can ride in the bottom slot of the magazine. However, If you place 1/2" nails in the gun with the points in the bottom slot, the heads rest on top of the last ridge not in the groove. This means that you must raise the nail strip up from the bottom slot slightly so that the heads drop into the groove. Otherwise, the spring loaded follower will not be able to push them into firing position.

After getting advice above that 1/2" nails would fire OK, I bought some to try. If I'm careful to place them with the heads in a groove (which means the points don't go all the way down in the bottom slot) they do fire properly. At least, I haven't had any misfires yet.

Thanks for the help
(10-28-2017, 09:22 AM)Willyou Wrote: I understand your terminology. Your statement about putting the strip of nails in the very bottom (not wrong) is what I was talking about in my comment #20. This gun is made to shoot minimum 5/8" nails. As such, the ridges and grooves that support the nail strip as you lay them into the magazine are spaced accordingly. The ridges support the nail shank and the grooves allow for the wider heads. And, all are spaced so that the nail points can ride in the bottom slot of the magazine. However, If you place 1/2" nails in the gun with the points in the  bottom slot, the heads rest on top of the last ridge not in the groove. This means that you must raise the nail strip up from the bottom slot slightly so that the heads drop into the groove. Otherwise, the spring loaded follower will not be able to push them into firing position.

After getting advice above that 1/2" nails would fire OK, I bought some to try. If I'm careful to place them with the heads in a groove (which means the points don't go all the way down in the bottom slot) they do fire properly. At least, I haven't had any misfires yet.

Thanks for the help

which is exactly what we have been saying all along. 

The key here is the heads have to be in the groove( sorry Steve I could not see any way round that part) not on the bottom of the rail as you learned did not even allow the slide on the magazine to close) The short distance is not enough to wreak havoc nor will it cause jams  . It is just a bit more tedious to load the nails properly.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(10-28-2017, 12:17 PM)JGrout Wrote: which is exactly what we have been saying all along. 

The key here is the heads have to be in the groove( sorry Steve I could not see any way round that part) not on the bottom of the rail as you learned did not even allow the slide on the magazine to close) The short distance is not enough to wreak havoc nor will it cause jams  . It is just a bit more tedious to load the nails properly.

I seems we were trying to describe the same things with different words. Glad we are finally on the same wave length. Thanks.
You point the gun away from you, so the leading edge is the front of the nailer, all the way forward. Beyond that I cannot simple it up enough.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW