Ryobi WDS 1600 Deum Sander
I'm in the process of tuning up my Ryobi drum sander and have a few questions.  First - the manual refers to tracking problems potentialy resulting from too much belt tension - question is - how much is too much or better yet how much is enough?

Second question - i noticed my conveyor belt has a small nick in it - likely it still has a lot of life but given that it is no longer available - what have others done when a replacement was necessary?

Thanks
Rick

(10-26-2017, 05:11 PM)Rick_B Wrote: I'm in the process of tuning up my Ryobi drum sander and have a few questions.  First - the manual refers to tracking problems potentialy resulting from too much belt tension - question is - how much is too much or better yet how much is enough?

Second question - i noticed my conveyor belt has a small nick in it - likely it still has a lot of life but given that it is no longer available - what have others done when a replacement was necessary?

Thanks

I have an old Ryobi 16-32 (my guess is 20+ yrs old) and my belt tension is set so that one can depress the belt about ~1/4" when you press on the belt between the front roller and the bed.    As long as the belt is not slipping, I think it is tight enough.

Cannot answer the question on what to do if the belt needs replacement.  I wonder if the belt from a Jet or other 16-32 would fit?

Warren
(10-27-2017, 09:38 AM)starkw1 Wrote: I have an old Ryobi 16-32 (my guess is 20+ yrs old) and my belt tension is set so that one can depress the belt about ~1/4" when you press on the belt between the front roller and the bed.    As long as the belt is not slipping, I think it is tight enough.

Cannot answer the question on what to do if the belt needs replacement.  I wonder if the belt from a Jet or other 16-32 would fit?

Warren
If it is a sandpaper belt then Industrial abrasive will make you one.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
(10-27-2017, 09:38 AM)starkw1 Wrote: I have an old Ryobi 16-32 (my guess is 20+ yrs old) and my belt tension is set so that one can depress the belt about ~1/4" when you press on the belt between the front roller and the bed.    As long as the belt is not slipping, I think it is tight enough.

Warren

Thanks guys - i tend to overtighten everything so I think I'll take all of the tension off the belt and start over.  The belt on mine is OEM (I think) and isa "rubber" type material.  They seem to be available on Amazon and the claim is they fittheRyobi but at $100 I am looking for other alternatives/sources.  I saw the new Performax 16/32 yesterday and it had a sand paper belt.  I asked a few questions but the rep didn't seem to know much.  The Ryobi is pretty much a clone of the older Performax (anf=d many similiar features as the new version) - makes me wonder if the sand paper belt froma Performaz would fit?
Rick