bathroom tub/shower tile around window
I'm about half way through my bathroom remodel and need to make some design decisions. Unfortunately we had a very hard time finding a tub and ended up settling on a 32" wide kohler tub. It's going to be a tub/shower combo setup. The bathroom was previously tub only. I need to find the best way to tile the tub/shower without the tile looking awkward with the window (and trim) which is unfortunately 30" from the wall. With that 2" intrusion into the tub area I don't know if I need to tile up to the bottom of the windowsill for the whole wall, tile the whole wall, or if I can get away with tiling to the edge of the tub only and taking waterproofing precautions with the window surround. The shower head will be on an opposing wall 5' away. Below is a rough sketchup. We will likely go with a white subway tile unless it's going to be a substantial amount of tiling.

Attached Files Image(s)

I can help but need a better picture of what you are dealing with. Photobucket wants your money.

You can use a matching "bull-nose" at the edge of the window or whatever you are using to terminate the rest of the tile field.

You could also use an aluminum edge strip.  This isn't the best picture but you can see where I used it to terminate the exterior tile on this shower and around the niches inside the shower. It's handy when space and cost are a problem. once installed and grouted, prep for painting by caulking between it and the wall. Just make sure you buy the right strip for the thickness of your tile.

[Image: VC61Eol.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Can't see photobucket pictures anymore. Use the forum tools to directly upload the picture from your computer.

Does the wall extend beyond the window? If not, I'd tile the whole wall. Delete any existing surround and sill. If it does, I'd probable tile just beyond the window. Either case, floor to ceiling to match the tub surround.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(10-27-2017, 11:21 AM)Mr_Mike Wrote: Can't see photobucket pictures anymore.  Use the forum tools to directly upload the picture from your computer.  

Does the wall extend beyond the window?  If not, I'd tile the whole wall.  Delete any existing surround and sill.  If it does, I'd probable tile just beyond the window.  Either case, floor to ceiling to match the tub surround.
Oops, OP corrected. The wall is about 8' x 8' with the window in the middle. I attached a quick and dirty version of what I think you're suggesting for the situation. Appreciate all the advice!

Attached Files Image(s)

Look like a good solution.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

May I suggest you extend the tile past the front of the tub, even if it's only 1 1/2"? No matter how hard you try to keep the shower curtain tight to the tiles, there will be some leakage at the at the top corners of the tub. A painted surface there won't last. I would set bull nose tile on the head wall in front of the tub, or out to the corner if it's only a few inches, and match that on the exterior wall. If you are still considering tiling half-way up the wall, take note of your switch and receptacle elevations. A common mistake is to tile to 4' and then figure out how to finish around the switch plates. I've done some bathrooms to 40"; switches, receptacles, and mirror are above the tile and towel bars mount to it. If some of the walls are not getting tiled at all, they at least get a tile "baseboard".
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
You are not saving much cost or work by not going all the way to the corner. I'd do the whole wall. But just to the left of the window isn't too bad either.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
(10-28-2017, 02:48 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: You are not saving much cost or work by not going all the way to the corner. I'd do the whole wall. But just to the left of the window isn't too bad either.

that would be the way i would do it,too. and maybe add a row of accent tile around the perimeter to break it up a bit.

or spend a little extra and install a narrower window.
I agree, you should spend a little and get a narrow window installed there.